How to get ArcGIS Online Basemaps into MMPK?

Jump to solution
07-17-2017 12:44 AM
KarlW
by
New Contributor III

With the latest version of the Explorer for ArcGIS app, offline access is via an mobile map package (*.mmpk) which is great but I get an error (The layer type is not supported in runtime content) when I try to add an ArcGIS Online basemap to my MMPK.

How do I get ArcGIS Online basemaps into my MMPK much like the old offline cache method can with Collector for ArcGIS?

Thanks,

Karl

50 Replies
BrianHall7
New Contributor III

Except this doesn't work. At least not for me, at least not today. Any secret tricks to make it work? I'm trying to get the default ESRI World Imagery basemap included in a .mmpk by reference.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian,

When you say it doesn't work...  is the service not displaying in your application?  

Runtime 100.9 is needed to make use of MMPKs that have service references in them.

Mark

0 Kudos
ToddHelt
New Contributor III

Hey Mark, we are trying your "Reference Online Content" option above as the latest and greatest way of accessing the Esri basemaps with our mmpk in Explorer. We are running Pro 2.6.2. But I don't even see that "Reference Online Content" or the "Enable Map Expiration" checkbox options. From your post on Sept. 28 "Using ArcGIS Pro 2.6 the ‘create mobile map package tool’ has an option to reference online content. All “https:” datasources will be included in the mobile map package as is."  Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Todd

0 Kudos
RickyKeller__-_FG
New Contributor

Online services within a MMPK  do not seem to be working correctly, at least not using Field Maps on ios or Android. Yes, online content can be added to the MMPK and this displays as one would expect. What doesn't seem to function properly is when you have no data connection (Airplane mode for instance). The MMPK won't even open, despite there being plenty of offline content within the MMPK. It is behaving as if it can't connect an online service, it isn't going to let you use your map at all. The MMPK is saved on the device. Maybe there is something I am missing to make this function properly?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

I have entered an issue for this.   The Map load uses the 'first layer in the map to initialize' and when the data source is not accessible it fails to load.   To work around this problem put a disconnected layer (a file based layer) as the bottom layer in your map.   On map load the app will initialize the bottom layer first and load the map.

To apply the workaround to your map In ArcGIS Pro.

Insert a new basemap

MarkBockenhauer_0-1605271778225.png

Then add the Basemap layers of your choice to this basemap.  Search Online and add...

MarkBockenhauer_1-1605273300415.png

Then add another file based layer that will be packaged into the map.  I would suggest using a Vector Tile Package.  I created this one https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=07b04d145b86410eaf5c5c42a78d8e95  its Level of Detail 1 - just background.

Make sure it is the bottom layer in the map.

MarkBockenhauer_2-1605273792310.png

Then use this as the Basemap for your Map.

MarkBockenhauer_3-1605273916188.png

For those that are not using a basemap (its good practice to always have one when creating a Mobile Map Package) make sure your bottom operational layer is in the package, and not a referenced online layer.

Mark

RandySteele
New Contributor III

I also have this question. I have tried to make the basemap a vector tile package and that fails too. My experience is still very limited so it would be nice to have a step by step guide on how to do this. I can publish my geodatabase to a mobile map package easily but it's not very helpful without street maps or aerial maps.

Thanks,

Randy

0 Kudos
BrianHall7
New Contributor III

I try to open the .mmpk in ArcGIS Explorer for Windows 10. I had to ask ESRI tech support for where I could download the installer (they pointed my to a blog post). Anyway, I don't know which runtime the latest version of ArcGIS Explorer for Windows 10 uses.

0 Kudos
BrianHall7
New Contributor III

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian,

It should work with Explorer for Windows 10.

Try opening "WeatherRadar2020"

http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9d8a9abdcb4e4ee08467f838ef7b77a8 

It is a mobile map package with services in it.

Mark

0 Kudos