How to get ArcGIS Online Basemaps into MMPK?

Jump to solution
07-17-2017 12:44 AM
KarlW
by
New Contributor III

With the latest version of the Explorer for ArcGIS app, offline access is via an mobile map package (*.mmpk) which is great but I get an error (The layer type is not supported in runtime content) when I try to add an ArcGIS Online basemap to my MMPK.

How do I get ArcGIS Online basemaps into my MMPK much like the old offline cache method can with Collector for ArcGIS?

Thanks,

Karl

50 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

To confirm, I created an MMPK with a 5.5 GB TPK inside and opened it with Explorer for ArcGIS.  It works.

0 Kudos
JoshV
by
Occasional Contributor

on the iPhone?  I'm just relaying what ESRI mentioned at the PUG conference last week on limitations related to TPK's. This is a good find if true Mark

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, used on Iphone 6 for test.

0 Kudos
KurtKirkpatrick
New Contributor

Any update on using Online Vector Tile Basemaps or rasters in Explorer? Are you looking into the same basemap download functionality Collector has for the next release of Explorer? Definitely needed.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Kurt,

yes, the pre-planned and basemap download currently in Collector is planned for Explorer.  You will see that in a release this summer.  If you have a Vector Tile Package (VTPK) or Tile Package (TPK) you can also include those as a layer in a Mobile Map Package and use them now in Explorer or anywhere that mobile map packages can be used.

Mark

TimothyKing3
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mark,

I followed your awesome Use ArcGIS Pro to make an offline map - part 1 and part 2 to make an mmpk with a vector tile package but I need to have one with the imagery. Is there a way to combine the two in an mmpk or should I make a mmpk for each type.  The issue is that I would like to have our target vector locations in with the imagery but am not sure if this can be done.

Thanks,

LTK

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

LTK,

Yes, you can include a TPK (Create Map Tile Package of your imagery) in a map like you would any other layer.  I like to add it as an operational layer that user can choose to turn on or off in apps like Explorer.  These blogs touch on the use of TPK in and MMPK.

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro/blog/2018/06/30/using-arcgis-pro-22... 

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro/blog/2018/06/29/using-arcgis-pro-22... 

Raster Files (ex. JPG) can be included in an MMPK as well, but support for reading them is not currently in the Esri Apps that read MMPKs (Navigator, Explorer).

Mark

0 Kudos
JoshAndreas
New Contributor III

Hi Mark, Thanks for all the helpful responses on this thread. I'd like to clarify the functionality that you're mentioning in the upcoming release of Explorer. Would this allow us to store basemaps on our devices and then add them to other downloaded maps?

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

Josh,

No, Explorer does not have support for putting a basemap on device and using it with any applicable map.

I will let the team know that you would like this capability for Explorer.

Mark

KurtKirkpatrick
New Contributor

Good morning. It is now 2020 and though I can create a mmpk with a vtpk in it, Explorer crashes anytime we try and open the maps. Is this an isolated issue or does Explorer not read vtpks in mmpks? Any update on when Explorer for Android will allow the downloading of basemaps at will? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos