Explorer for ArcGIS Offline feature search (search by layer with locate tool) issue

Jump to solution
05-09-2019 11:56 AM
Orca654
New Contributor III

I use Explorer for ArcGIS v18.1.0 on Android Tablet.   I create an offline project with activated layer features search by using the Locate tool on ArcGIS Pro 2.3.2.  I also turn off the online address locator such as XY provider and ArcGIS World Geocoding Service on the Locate tool settings.  I export the .mmpk file into my desktop hard drive and upload to my Samsung Galaxy A8 Tablet.

If I Turn ON the wi-fi connection on my tablet, the feature search function seems good except one thing:  The secondary line of each search result item shows the location name (e.g.: Kisumu, Kenya) instead of the latitude-longitude (e.g.:  -0.28212, 34.94756).  If I click a feature on the map, the secondary line of each item on the pop-up window shows similar things.

If I Turn OFF the wi-fi connection on my tablet, the feature search function fails with an error message on the bottom of the screen said "No Internet Connection  RETRY".  If I click a feature on the map, the secondary line of each item on the pop-up window shows the latitude-longitude (e.g.: -0.28212, 34.94756).

Does anyone have a similar issue?  Did I miss something in the settings?  The Offline Feature Search function on Explorer for ArcGIS should work under either an online or offline environment.  Why it needs the internet connection to make it work?  I know the other solution (workaround) is to create own locator for each layer you want to search, but it would be tedious if you update some map very frequently.

Attached the screenshots for all the four scenarios described above.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Orca654
New Contributor III

Let me summarize potential workaround by "adding a locator in .mmpk file" and some potential other bugs in either ArcGIS Pro 2.3 or Explorer for ArcGIS.

[Workaround for OFFLINE Search]

1. Create/Add a random locator in ArcGIS Pro Project by using "Create Address Locator" tool.

2. Enable this locator inside the Locate tool if you want to use it

3. In Create Mobile Map Package tool, add the locator in the "Input Locator" section

You should be fine to use the search function OFFLINE now.  for details create locator steps, please refer to this post: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro/blog/2018/01/20/use-arcgis-pro-21-t...

[Potential ArcGIS Pro Bug]

1. Even un-check [Enable] box for all layers in the locate tool [settings] tab, without any extra locator included, the layer feature searching still works while Wi-Fi ON, But NOT WORK while Wi-Fi OFF

{Question: should it keep un-searchable for those layers' features if you un-check the check-box?}

2. If you create a random Address Locator other than those layers and included in .mmpk files, no matter those [Enable] have been checked or not, the offline layer feature searching will work on both Wi-Fi on and OFF.  (this is workaround)

{Same as above, should it keep un-searchable for those layers' features if you un-check the check-box?}

[Summary of the bug behavior]

*** Wi-Fi ON (connected to Internet) ***

• Layer Search Enable: checked, w/o any Locator, --> [Layer Search: Yes, sub-line location: Place Name]
  • Layer Search Enable: checked, w/ any Locator, --> [Layer Search: Yes, sub-line location: Latitude, Longitude]
  • Layer Search Enable: uncheck, w/o any Locator, --> [Layer Search: Yes, Search: Yes, sub-line location: Latitude, Longitude]
  • Layer Search Enable: uncheck, w/ any Locator, --> [Layer Search: Yes, Search: Yes, sub-line location: Latitude, Longitude]

*** Wi-Fi OFF (dis-connected to Internet) ***

• Layer Search Enable: checked, w/o any Locator, --> [Layer Search: NO, sub-line location: N/A]
  • Layer Search Enable: checked, w/ any Locator, --> [Layer Search: Yes, sub-line location: Latitude, Longitude]
  • Layer Search Enable: uncheck, w/o any Locator, --> [Layer Search: NO, sub-line location: N/A]
  • Layer Search Enable: uncheck, w/ any Locator, --> [Layer Search: Yes, sub-line location: Latitude, Longitude]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

I have forwarded the information that you have provided to the Explorer team.  Search in not working correctly. 

As a workaround for using feature search without an internet connection, add a locator file to the mobile map package.  It doesn't have to be detailed, could be small, just one location.. it will allow the feature search to work without an internet connection.  You will also see coordinates on the sub-line.  Note that you will not be able to find any general world places, as the Esri world geocoder will not be used when a locator is included in the mobile map package.

Mark

Orca654
New Contributor III

Thanks, Mark. Actually, I also did some debug things and found this "adding locator" workaround eventually. 

0 Kudos
Orca654
New Contributor III

Let me summarize potential workaround by "adding a locator in .mmpk file" and some potential other bugs in either ArcGIS Pro 2.3 or Explorer for ArcGIS.

[Workaround for OFFLINE Search]

1. Create/Add a random locator in ArcGIS Pro Project by using "Create Address Locator" tool.

2. Enable this locator inside the Locate tool if you want to use it

3. In Create Mobile Map Package tool, add the locator in the "Input Locator" section

You should be fine to use the search function OFFLINE now.  for details create locator steps, please refer to this post: https://community.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro/blog/2018/01/20/use-arcgis-pro-21-t...

[Potential ArcGIS Pro Bug]

1. Even un-check [Enable] box for all layers in the locate tool [settings] tab, without any extra locator included, the layer feature searching still works while Wi-Fi ON, But NOT WORK while Wi-Fi OFF

{Question: should it keep un-searchable for those layers' features if you un-check the check-box?}

2. If you create a random Address Locator other than those layers and included in .mmpk files, no matter those [Enable] have been checked or not, the offline layer feature searching will work on both Wi-Fi on and OFF.  (this is workaround)

{Same as above, should it keep un-searchable for those layers' features if you un-check the check-box?}

[Summary of the bug behavior]

*** Wi-Fi ON (connected to Internet) ***

• Layer Search Enable: checked, w/o any Locator, --> [Layer Search: Yes, sub-line location: Place Name]
  • Layer Search Enable: uncheck, w/o any Locator, --> [Layer Search: Yes, Search: Yes, sub-line location: Latitude, Longitude]
  • Layer Search Enable: uncheck, w/ any Locator, --> [Layer Search: Yes, Search: Yes, sub-line location: Latitude, Longitude]

*** Wi-Fi OFF (dis-connected to Internet) ***

• Layer Search Enable: checked, w/o any Locator, --> [Layer Search: NO, sub-line location: N/A]
  • Layer Search Enable: uncheck, w/o any Locator, --> [Layer Search: NO, sub-line location: N/A]
  • Layer Search Enable: uncheck, w/ any Locator, --> [Layer Search: Yes, sub-line location: Latitude, Longitude]

0 Kudos