Does Explorer require ArcGIS Enterprise to load "views" into map?

11-24-2019 12:47 PM
DavidHughell
New Contributor II

I am unable to use "Views" with Explorer. I create the View in ArcGIS Online, but then in Explorer when I click on the overflow menu (3 dots) I do not see the option to select a view. I also cannot see the option to add offline area. This gives me the ideas that these features in Explorer require ArcGIS Enterprise login (i.e. do not work with ArcGIS Online).

When I create the view in ArcGIS Online I temporally see the "packaging" message, which leads me to believe it is creating a mobile map package (mmpk). If I could find the mmpk file I would side-load these only my device, solving my problem. Can someone tell we where mmpk files are stored in ArcGIS Online?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JustinColville
Esri Contributor

Hello David,

Explorer for ArcGIS works with maps that are authored in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Pro.  It does not need ArcGIS Enterprise, but will work with maps and layers hosted there.

To use the views that you are creating in ArcGIS Online, you will need to author a map that uses those views (Make maps—Explorer for ArcGIS | Documentation).  Views in ArcGIS Online do not use mobile map packages.  Mobile map packages are only authored in ArcGIS Pro (Prepare maps for download—Explorer for ArcGIS | Documentation).

Hope this helps,

Justin

0 Kudos