Feature layer created from map service has only triangle polygons

09-12-2011 10:12 AM
AntónioMarques
New Contributor II
Hello,

I'm trying to use the new functionality "Dashboard", and to do so, i added a map service (MapServer) to my map. As it is needed a feature layer, i've created in AEO, feature layers from the layers present in my service (2 layers, both polygons), but the polygon features in this new feature layers have all become triangles. When i pick the map to interact with the features and the dashboard, i get always a selected triangle over the correct form of the county polygon i have beneath.

Is there a way of creating feature layers in AEO without turning polygons into to triangles? Or any workaround?

Thanks!
António
0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndyMacDonald
New Contributor III
António,

When features are drawn from a map service as features, they are simplified for the current map scale. This  both minimizes the complexity of features being transferred from the server and improves drawing performace.

Visually, you should not see any perceptable change.

When you select a feature, the seleciton graphic is based on the resultion of the feature when you select it. If you subsequently zoom in, the feature will be drawn with a higher resolution geometry, but the selection graphic remains its original (lower resolution). I think this is the effect you are seeing.

Andy
0 Kudos
AntónioMarques
New Contributor II
António,

When features are drawn from a map service as features, they are simplified for the current map scale. This  both minimizes the complexity of features being transferred from the server and improves drawing performace.

Visually, you should not see any perceptable change.

When you select a feature, the seleciton graphic is based on the resultion of the feature when you select it. If you subsequently zoom in, the feature will be drawn with a higher resolution geometry, but the selection graphic remains its original (lower resolution). I think this is the effect you are seeing.

Andy

Hi Andy,

The better way is for me to show you what i'm getting by creating a feature layer in AEO from my added map service. Turning off my map service layer and leaving on only the created feature layer, i get only triangles instead of the original polygons:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67502608@N04/6143896573/

When i make a selection or identify of a feature over my map service, this is what gets selected: a triangle!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67502608@N04/6143896815/

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!
António
0 Kudos
AndyMacDonald
New Contributor III
Could you share the Url to your map service?

Thanks,
Andy
0 Kudos
AntónioMarques
New Contributor II
Could you share the Url to your map service?

Thanks,
Andy

This is the service: http://195.23.241.218:85/ArcGIS/rest/services/Census2011/Census2011PC/MapServer

Thanks!
António
0 Kudos
AndyMacDonald
New Contributor III
I am not able to access that service. Is it public?

Andy
0 Kudos
AntónioMarques
New Contributor II
I am not able to access that service. Is it public?

Andy

Yes, it is public. In ArcGIS.com and by its REST URL.

Thanks,
António
0 Kudos
AntónioMarques
New Contributor II
Hello,

Just wanted to share the solution I found out to the problem.

I�??ve noticed that changing the browser�??s language to �??en-us�?�, this doesn�??t happen (at least in Firefox). I changed that option in:

Tools menu -> Options -> Content tab
In the option �??Languages�?�, I browsed and choosed �??English/United States [en-us]�?� as first language (by default, mine was Portuguese). Made Ok to close all windows.
Closed the browser and opened again. Now, every time I create a feature layer in ArcGIS Explorer Online, polygons remain with their original shape (don�??t turn to triangles).

If anyone from a different country with proper language definitions in their browser is having the same problem, this could be an option to try to solve it.

Regards,
António Marques
0 Kudos