Failed to publish csv. - not enough distinct points

08-15-2011 04:09 PM
JohnDiNunzio
New Contributor
"Error Message 24305: The Polygon input is not valid because the ring does not have enough distinct points. Each ring of a polygon must contain at least three distinct points"

I have a simple map w/ lines, areas, points saved in ArcGIS Explorer .NMF
used Excel to open file then 'Save As' .csv

am trying to import in to Explorer.ArcGIS.com

Q1: Why doesn't ArcGIS Explorer .NMF have compatible file structure (in this case "distinct points" for Explorer.ArcGIS.com ?

Q2: Will I have to change the table structure manually? if so how...
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeRudden
New Contributor
Hi,

Does your csv contain only 1 point? If so this is a known issue - the upload fails and the error message is bogus. In this situation a simple workaround is to have more than 1 point and you can then delete the 2nd point after the import completes. If your csv contains multiple points please post it here, if possible, so that we can investigate the problem.

You mention that your nmf contains - points, lines and areas - currently the CSV importer in Explorer Online only supports points. This upload facility has just been released recently but I'd expect it's capabilities to improve & grow in subsequent releases.  I'll pass on your request for better interoperability between Explorer Desktop and Explorer Online but feel free to post this as a suggestion on the ideas site under the Explorer Desktop category.

Mike
0 Kudos
katherineobrien
New Contributor
i am having this same problem.  I have a file of just points and receive the error message listed above.
0 Kudos
MikeRudden
New Contributor
Hi,
Rather irritatingly the error message that you are seeing is completely bogus. I think the reason for the import failure is simply that your lat/long coordinates needs to be in geographic coordinates i.e. decimal degrees.
Mike
0 Kudos