ArcGIS Explorer Online being retired on Dec. 10, 2013

11-18-2013 01:45 PM
AllenRisley
Occasional Contributor II
http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer-online

This is sad news (to me).  I have shown many classes of students how to make map presentations in ArcGIS Explorer Online.  Two classes that I know of currently have final project assignments of making AGEO map presentations, and our semester ends AFTER Dec. 10th.  I'm not looking forward to the conversations with those faculty members.

Will the ArcGIS.com Map Viewer be adding a presentation mode?  AGEO's map presentations are qualitatively different from story maps, so don't make that suggestion.

Can an Esri representative address this, please?

Thanks,

Allen Risley
GIS Lab Manager
California State University San Marcos
6 Replies
AllenRisley
Occasional Contributor II
AGEO also allows you to add text labels to your map - Map Viewer does not.
0 Kudos
AlinaTaus
Occasional Contributor
This is really bad news. I've been using ArcGIS Explorer Online to build predefined queries in my Web Maps that are consumed on mobile devices. This has been the only 'out-of-the-box' solution that has enabled me to provide more functionality to my end users without having to learn to program and now ESRI is taking it away.... Does anybody know if building queries will ever be maybe available as an out-of-the-box functionality???
0 Kudos
RyanCoodey
Occasional Contributor III
I just came to ask about the same thing alina.taus did... AGEO was the only tool to build MobileWeb JSON queries. Since this JSON is practically undocumented, and a tool is much nicer than notepad anyway, are there going to be any replacement tools?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
MarkMcComb
New Contributor
For building queries for maps on ArcGIS .com //  ESRI gave me this

1.       Open ArcCatalog
2.       Create a folder called Locators
3.       Right click in this folder and choose to create new Address Locator

*If this fails, you might have to Disable Back Ground Geoprocessing in ArcMap.

4.       Once this dialog box is open, you�??ll set the locator type to �??General �?? Single Field�?? and reference the feature class you want to search on as well as the field to search

5.       Do this for every Feature Class you want to search on
6.       Once done, right click in the folder and this time choose to create new �??Composite Address Locator�??
Exercise outlining how to do this in the help
7.       When creating the composite locator, you�??ll add the 5 locators you previously created.
8.       Right click the composite locator and choose to share as a Service, and publish it to your Server
9.       Visit your Rest Endpoint, and copy the GeocodeServer url
10.   Follow this workflow from the online help to add the locator to your ArcGIS Online Organization
a.       Set it as the top locator to use before you hit save
0 Kudos
MarkoMladineo
New Contributor
If you're talking about Silverlight-based ArcGIS Explorer Online, it is still available on:

http://www.arcgis.com/explorer/

Marko
0 Kudos
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III
For building queries for maps on ArcGIS .com //  ESRI gave me this

1.       Open ArcCatalog
2.       Create a folder called Locators
3.       Right click in this folder and choose to create new Address Locator

*If this fails, you might have to Disable Back Ground Geoprocessing in ArcMap.

4.       Once this dialog box is open, you�??ll set the locator type to �??General �?? Single Field�?? and reference the feature class you want to search on as well as the field to search

5.       Do this for every Feature Class you want to search on
6.       Once done, right click in the folder and this time choose to create new �??Composite Address Locator�??
Exercise outlining how to do this in the help
7.       When creating the composite locator, you�??ll add the 5 locators you previously created.
8.       Right click the composite locator and choose to share as a Service, and publish it to your Server
9.       Visit your Rest Endpoint, and copy the GeocodeServer url
10.   Follow this workflow from the online help to add the locator to your ArcGIS Online Organization
a.       Set it as the top locator to use before you hit save

Mark,
Did you get this to work? Which version of ArcGIS Desktop and Server?
0 Kudos