Working with time-aware layers in ArcGIS Explorer?

08-24-2010 06:34 PM
JerryGarcia
Occasional Contributor II
How do you work with time-aware layers in ArcGIS Explorer?

If I wanted to re-create the same Time Slider window from ArcMap into ArcGIS Explorer, how would I consume the map services?  SOAP, REST, local connection?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I need to do this for vector and imagery data.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AriIsaak1
New Contributor III
I have been working on a similar task. ArcGIS Explorer shows a time slider for time enabled KMLs. You might try consuming the KML service. I created the layer I wanted, then used the layer to KML tool to create time based data. I am not sure why you have to use a KML. It seems that it should work for Esri formats as well, but I haven't had any luck with that.
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Jerry / Ari,

Unfortunately we weren't able to support time-aware layers in ArcGIS Explorer 1500 out of the box. Using the new Query functionality in the API (see below) you can apply query definitions to local feature layers (and service layers but for performance reasons I'd avoid that route for a time slider environment). For services with time-aware layers I would suggest looking at either the SOAP or REST API. I've always favoured the SOAP API for accessing ArcGIS Server from Explorer but REST seems to be increasingly in the other client environments so you might want to consider it. As Ari points out, when you add KML the UI enables you to any time-based content in the KML.

FeatureLayers: http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisexplorer/1500/sdk/componenthelp/index.html#/QueryDefinition_Property...

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
AriIsaak
New Contributor II
ArcGIS 10 can read a wide range of date inputs. If we create a time enabled layer in ArcGIS Desktop then exported the layer to KML, is there a time format which ArcGIS Explorer will be able to use with the time slider. Maybe it has to be a datetime datatype or only in YYYYMMMDD. How does ArcGIS Explorer recognize a time enabled KML file, such as the one at the link below? Is there a workflow you could suggest.

http://code.google.com/apis/kml/documentation/whale_shark.kml
0 Kudos