Resolution and Rendering

12-14-2010 09:41 AM
StevenGolden
New Contributor
When I connect to a WMS server on ArcGIS desktop (ArcView) the display is sharp, however, when I connect to that same database in Explorer (build 1500) the display is very pixelated (vectors have shadows, ghosted text is blury, etc).  Is this a known issue for Explorer or are there some tweaks to increase the resolution/rendering of the display?

FYI...I am running the test WMS server on the same test machine as Explorer.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Is it ArcGIS Explorers 2D or 3D display?

If 2D, you could set the map coordinate system to be the same as your WMS service.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1500//en/index.html#map_properties_coordinate_systems.htm

That will give the best performance as well as the best display.  When the ArcGIS Explorer map coordinate system is set different from the data, it reprojects on the fly.

Mark
0 Kudos
StevenGolden
New Contributor
It is in 2D display and I already set the coordinate system to match my WMS layer.  I did switch to 3D for comparison and it does get a bit more grainy. 

The other interesting thing is that when I use the Bing roads map and zoom in, it also seems a bit pixelated.  So, I'll assume that however ArcExplorer renders data from other GIS servers, vectors are going to look a bit grainy.  Any enhancements coming forward or custom tweaks to change the rendering properties?
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia
Occasional Contributor II
What do you recommend for 3D view?  Our WMS services are very pixelated.  We would like to improve this.  Thank you.

Is it ArcGIS Explorers 2D or 3D display?

If 2D, you could set the map coordinate system to be the same as your WMS service.

http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1500//en/index.html#map_properties_coordinate_systems.htm

That will give the best performance as well as the best display.  When the ArcGIS Explorer map coordinate system is set different from the data, it reprojects on the fly.

Mark
0 Kudos