Raster Image Will Not Display in Correct Location

02-24-2011 10:44 AM
StephanieDalton1
New Contributor
I am attempting to import raster images (tiff files) into ArcGIS Explorer but they do not display in the correct location. The tiff files use the coordinated system, NAD_1983_StatePlane_Virginia_South_FIPS_4502_Feet (0).  The image is of Virginia and it is showing up in Mexico.  What am I doing wrong?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
PhilipHash
New Contributor
I have not found a resolution to this problem and it has been an entire year.  ArcGIS Explorer is useless to me unless I can upload these image files.
0 Kudos
EdanCain
New Contributor II
it would help if you would post one of your non working tiff files for us to look at. Without which, we cannot comment on what the issue is.

Edan
0 Kudos
EllenBryson1
New Contributor II
I had a similar problem. I add a georeferenced tiff image to ArcMap, no problem. It's exactly where it should be. I add the very same image to ArcGIS Explorer and it's nowhere close. Overlays half of the continental US, when it should be just a tiny portion of southern Maryland.

I've discovered that the issue in my case was the projection the data used. The raster image had been georeferenced to State Plane, Maryland, units are feet. But the standard Maryland State Plane projection units are meters. I don't believe that AGX is recognizing a custom projection. Once I set my data frame to the more standard projection, and then exported the .tiff to that new projection, the new image worked great!

I wonder if the Projection Expansion pack that you can download with AGX would fix this. That's my next task. I'll let the group know if that works.

~Ellen
0 Kudos
GregorRadlmair
Esri Contributor
Be aware that AGX is able to project data, but it is not able to do transformations between different GCS.

A way to avoid a shift: go to ArcMap first, use a projection that has WGS84 as GCS for the data frame and set the correct transformation. Export your data from TOC with the coordinate system of the data frame option. These data will display in correct position.
0 Kudos