Normalization: Percent of Total (question)

06-27-2014 07:43 AM
ELTerrell
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I have a map of a county precincts, all 195.  The attribute table shows the FID number, the Precinct number, a few columns such as district and shape, and most importantly it shows the number of Dems, Reps, and Unaffiliated voters. 

I'm looking at making chloropleth maps which reflect the political party of the people in the precinct.  It's easy enough to map the number of Dems or Reps, but I'm curious how to use the percent of total function.  I'd like to show Dems are for ex: 50% of a precinct.  However, I think the Normalization tab is also tabulating the area, some of the district numbers, and other irrelevant information for this task.

My question is...how would I go about using just the columns with the political parties as a percent of total?

Many thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EllenBryson2
Occasional Contributor
Hi Elterrell

You might want to post this question under the ArcMap forum. ArcGIS Explorer Desktop doesn't have a normalization function.

Good luck
Ellen

Hi all,

I have a map of a county precincts, all 195.  The attribute table shows the FID number, the Precinct number, a few columns such as district and shape, and most importantly it shows the number of Dems, Reps, and Unaffiliated voters. 

I'm looking at making chloropleth maps which reflect the political party of the people in the precinct.  It's easy enough to map the number of Dems or Reps, but I'm curious how to use the percent of total function.  I'd like to show Dems are for ex: 50% of a precinct.  However, I think the Normalization tab is also tabulating the area, some of the district numbers, and other irrelevant information for this task.

My question is...how would I go about using just the columns with the political parties as a percent of total?

Many thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
ELTerrell
New Contributor III
I see, thanks so much.
0 Kudos