Is AGX 1500 really OK on same macine as AGD 9.3.1?

08-25-2010 09:33 PM
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III
The System Requirements for ArcGIS Explorer 1500 say that it is fine to install with ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1: http://resources.arcgis.com/content/arcgis-explorer/1500/system-requirements

However, both I and a colleague have experienced issues doing that.

On his machine (XP) he is unable to launch ArcCatalog 9.3.1 after installing ArcGIS Explorer 1500.  ArcMap 9.3.1 launches fine.  Uninstalling ArcGIS Explorer 1500 leads to ArcCatalog 9.3.1 being launchable again.

On my machine (Vista SP2) I have no problem launching ArcCatalog 9.3.1 with ArcGIS Explorer 1500 installed.  However, I am unable to switch ArcGIS Explorer (with just the default Basemap) from 3D to 2D view.  On my other, and much lower spec-ed Vista SP2 machine which has ArcGIS Desktop 10 and ArcGIS Explorer 1500 installed switching ArcGIS Explorer from 2D to 3D works fine.

It's only a suspicion but are ArcGIS Explorer 1500 and ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 not as sociable as the System Requirements URL above suggests?

- Graeme
0 Kudos
10 Replies
LindsayKing
New Contributor
Graeme,

I'm sorry to hear you and your colleague are experiencing problems with ArcGIS Explorer 1500 and ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1.  The first thing I recommend is running a Repair on the Desktop setup through "Add/Remove Programs" on the Windows control panel if ArcCatalog 9.3.1 doesn't launch after installing Explorer.  In the case where switching between 3D and 2D is the problem in Explorer, perhaps updating your graphics card driver will help.

We did not experience any problems when we tested ArcGIS Explorer 1500 and ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 before releasing 1500, but if you could provide us with information regarding the system(s) on which you've encountered issues, we might be able to determine their cause.  Your answers to these questions would be particularly helpful:

• Do you have any other ESRI products installed other than ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 (sp?) and ArcGIS Explorer 1500?

• Do you have any ESRI or non-ESRI extensions installed?

• If you've encountered issues on some systems but not others, what can you tell us about the differences between these systems?

Thank you for your feedback.

Regards,
Lindsay
0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning
Hi Lindsay

I'll need to leave any response on the "ArcCatalog 9.3.1 fails to launch after ArcGIS Explorer 1500 installed" problem to my colleague who is in another city.

For the problem I have with "ArcGIS Explorer 1500 not switching from 3D to 2D on Vista SP2" that is  *possibly* related to ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 being installed, I can provide the following information in response to your questions:

�?�Do you have any other ESRI products installed other than ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 (sp?) and ArcGIS Explorer 1500?

Only ESRI products installed on laptop with this problem are ArcGIS Explorer 1500, ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 (Build 3000; i.e. no service packs) and ArcInfo Workstation 9.2

�?�Do you have any ESRI or non-ESRI extensions installed?

There are no non-ESRI extensions installed.
All ESRI extensions are installed (I routinely do a Complete install) but only 3D & Spatial Analysts have been used on this laptop.

�?�If you've encountered issues on some systems but not others, what can you tell us about the differences between these systems?

Problem occurs on one of two similar systems i.e. both Vista SP2

Working laptop: 2GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro FX 350M, DELL Precision M65, ArcGIS Desktop 10
Not Working laptop: 4GB RAM, ATI Mobility FireGL V5700 (with latest driver), Lenove ThinkPad W500, ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1

It's not much to go on but I hope it helps.

- Graeme
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Lindsay,

If it helps, I installed build 1500 last week and have not been able to open ArcMap or ArcCatalog since.  They both crash when the splash screen comes up.  I've sent several of the crash logs in through the automated error reporting feature.  I tried running the Repair on Desktop, deleting my normal.mxt, rebooting, etc... but nothing worked.  I had to uninstall 1500 to fix the Map & Catalog.  Switching between 2D and 3D worked just fine for me when I did have 1500 installed.

I'm running Win XP 64bit SP2
I have ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 SP1 , running an ArcInfo license w/ all ESRI extensions installled (complete install).  Also have PLTS, JTX installed.
I also have ArcGIS Server for .Net 9.3.1 SP1 installed, as well as versions 1.2 and 2.0 of the ESRI Silverlight API.
The Desktop SDKs for .Net and VBA are also installed.

I don't think anyone else in our office has tried installing 1500 yet so I cannot comment on your 3rd question. 

Terry
0 Kudos
LindsayKing
New Contributor
Graeme and Terry,

Thank you for the information you provided.  We will look into the behavior you're seeing.

Regards,
Lindsay
0 Kudos
TerryGiles
Thanks Lindsay.  I can now also address your 3rd question - a coworker installed 1500 with no issues associated w/ ArcMap/Catalog.  She has Winx XP, 32 bit, ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 SP1, PLTS, and JTX (no server packages installed).  Is it perhaps a 64bit OS issue?
0 Kudos
LindsayKing
New Contributor
Hi Terry,

That's interesting.  It shouldn't be a 64-bit issue; we did test Explorer with other ArcGIS products installed on 64-bit machines before releasing 1500.  However, there are so many product/OS combinations, we certainly weren't able to cover them all.  I'm working on a 64-bit XP OS at the moment to see if I can experience the same problems you've reported.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Regards,
Lindsay
0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning
It's probably unrelated, but I'm unable to start ArcMap 10 or ArcCatalog 10 on a laptop that previously had ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 and ArcGIS Explorer 1500 installed on it.  I uninstalled ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1 before installing 10 but ArcGIS Explorer 1500 was there at the time.  I've since uninstalled ArcGIS Explorer 1500 and ArcGIS Desktop 10, and only reinstalled the latter but ArcMap 10 and ArcCatalog 10 still won't start.

In case it is related the other thread is at http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/12527-Launching-ArcMap-on-Vista-laptop-does-not-get-past-Initializi...

- Graeme
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Graeme,

If your ArcGIS Desktop license is under maintenance I suggest contacting your local distributor (presumably ESRI Australia) for support with this issue.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning
Hi Mike

We have ArcGIS Desktop current in maintenance so I have now registered it with Esri Australia's support.  I used the forums first because often I find solutions, especially on issues that are difficult to reproduce, quicker that way.

- Graeme
0 Kudos