GPS points not appearing in correct place on UK map. Please help!

03-01-2011 06:29 AM
JamesBattle
New Contributor
I took the data off my GPS logger in kml format. They appear in exactly the right place in google earth.

I then opened the kml file in ArcMap 10, but they don't appear in the right place. The basemap data is in UK British National Grid, as is the data frame, but the GPS data are about 150m too far to the west, and perhaps 50m too far north.

I have attached a jpg. What am I doing wrong? ArcGIS knows to treat the kml data as WGS84 but they're still appearing in the wrong place. Any ideas? Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AnnaScott
New Contributor
Hi,

I want to know how to fix the same problem. We're constantly getting a shift of approximately 100m (it increases or decreases depending on latitude) when converting to GoogleEarth KML files from ArcGIS or vice versa. We're using UK data, usually OSGB or WGS1984, but it doesn't seem to matter what projection we're using in ArcGIS.

There has to be a simple solution to this!

A
0 Kudos
EdanCain
New Contributor II
Hi,
this thread is for Explorer Desktop, so please think to re post within the ArcGIS Desktop thread.

Are you seeing this in Explorer Desktop? Can you provide us with the KML file please?

James, your data logger, do you have it within an RC aircraft by chance? Just curious.

Kind regards,
Edan
0 Kudos