Disconnected GeoCoding Tool/Add In

05-24-2011 03:02 PM
StevenKincaid
New Contributor III
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows of or has developed a geolocator tool/add in that will work in ArcGIS Explorer disconnected from the web.  Here is my scenario, I would like to implement ArcGIS Explorer Desktop on some laptops our Fire Department uses in the field.  I plan to include some base data using layer packages but one of the key components or tools the fire department needs is to search by address.  The laptops will not have internet connection.  We have built geolocators in house and I believe we also have a geolocator service built, but to my knowledge, the service would not work being disconnect.  If the functionality of what I'm talking about does not exist yet what would be some other options to look at, taking into consideration we have no money to spend.

Thanks,
Steve
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
ArcReader supports local disconnected geocoders.  It does require that you publish your map as a PMF file (publisher extension).  ArcReader is read only and the user experience is different from ArcGIS Explorer, but it may be able to do what you need???
0 Kudos
StevenKincaid
New Contributor III
Great, thank you

I will look into ArcReader.
0 Kudos
FrancescoDiPaolo
New Contributor II
I know it has been a while, but did you ever make progress on this application.  I am a volunteer fire fighter trying to accomplish something similar

Thanks
0 Kudos