Build 1500 - adding GIS services

09-14-2010 11:56 AM
DanReagle
New Contributor
I've successfully added a few public GIS servers and when I select add content>GIS servers, I can add a service layer and it successfully draws on the screen.  The GIS servers did not require a username or password.

I've added two more GIS servers and when I select the GIS servers, I can add a service layer, but it never draws on the screen.  The service layer does show up on the table of contents and I can click on the service layer to get the layer properties.  The GIS server is hosted by another branch of the same government department.  The other branch of the government uses ArcGIS and isn't knowledgeable about the particulars ArcGIS Explorer.  They don't have any insight into the problem.  I only have AE.  In order to successfully load these two GIS servers I had to enter my computer email/log in.

Any ideas why the service layers doesn't draw, but I can see it in the table of contents and how I can the service layer to draw on the map?

Thanks,
D
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Hi,

There could be a number of reasons for this. One thing to check first would be that it's not just a scale dependency setting that is making the service not appear when you add it to the map.

...But assuming that's not the case and the fact you mentioned that these services are in another branch of your dept my guess would be that it's something to do with the way their server is set up to return output images, or in the case of a cached service, return images from the cache - some things to try/look into:

1. One thing you could try is browsing the REST service catalog of their server - so replace http://<SERVERNAME>/arcgis/services with http://<SERVERNAME>/arcgis/rest/services then click through to the service you're trying to view and click the Export Map link at the bottom. On the page that opens, can you see the map? Note - you can right click on the image and check the URL. This will tell you if you're able to see dynamically drawn maps.

2. The service may also be cached, in which case Explorer will be requesting maps from the cache, which may or may not be on the same server as you think you're hitting for the service in the first place (i.e. for performance/architecture reasons the server admin may have chosen to store the map cache on another machine). You can check whether you're able to see one of these cached maps. When looking at the REST service page for the map service if it says "Single Fused Map Cache: true" then there is a cache and it shuld be detailed below that - "Tile Info...". Find one of the "Level of Detail" sections and click the "Start Tile" link. This will request one of the image tiles directly from the cache. This will tell you if you can see cached images.

3. If it were a firewall/proxy server issue it's unlikely you'd be able to connect to the server at all.

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
DanReagle
New Contributor
Mike,

Thanks for your help.

I agree that it is not a scale dependency problem or a firewall problem.  I've tried many different scales and the fact that I can see the server using AG Explorer and Windows Explorer means it isn't a firewall problem.

I tried adding "rest" into the address, but I get the same results.  I still can connect, and see folders and service layers, but I don't see the "Export Map Link" at the bottom of the screen.

The odd thing is if I add service layers that have different extents, when I right click on each service layer>go to, the map zooms to the appropriate scale.  For example, if a service layer has data only for Baltimore City "go to" will zoom the map to Baltimore City.  If the service layer has data for the entire state of Maryland, "go to" will zoom to Maryland.  Nothing is drawn, but the map does zoom and recenter.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
D
0 Kudos
MichaelBranscomb
Esri Frequent Contributor
Dan,

My feeling is that this is likely to be a network topology /security thing relating to where the map images are being placed when rendered by the server and/or something to do with the security that has been set up for the server (because you had to enter a username/password).

You best bet is to talk the the guys who adminster the ArcGIS Server in the other branch/dept and try to understand the network/security setup.

One last thing - could there be a proxy server between you and the other server? (see for more info: http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1500//en/proxy_server_settings.htm)

Regards

Mike
0 Kudos
MattRees
New Contributor
Did you find out what the solution was? I'm having the same problem.
0 Kudos