Bug? - Popups not displayed if Scale Range is set

04-23-2012 10:17 AM
BradfordFolta
Occasional Contributor
I'm adding content to AGX Desktop from an ArcGIS Map Service published from an .mxd, the source data is SDE, ArcGIS 10, AGX Desktop build 1750.

If in the .mxd file I right click the layer set the properties of Scale Range on the General tab to anything other than "Show layer at all scales" - then when I add that service in AGX Desktop I'm unable to access popup data by clicking on an object - nothing happens.

I've tried it a few different ways, and it seems if whenever I set a layer scale range, somehow this disables popups when referencing this layer in AGX Desktop. This is a problem because I'd really need to be able to set scale ranges for my layers.

Can someone from ESRI please test and advise?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
BradfordFolta
Occasional Contributor
This is a fairly serious problem for me, and I've got to believe for others as well. I'm finding it hard to believe this issue has not been already dealt with, but I cannot find anything on it. If someone could please respond, it would be much appreciated - I cannot rollout AGX as our default viewer interface to the server until I resolve this. Thanks!

I found this from 1-1/2 years ago:
http://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/TklNMDYyNDUx

ESRI - is this being addressed?
0 Kudos
BillHoney
New Contributor III
It seems that this bug is STILL here in build 2500.

Can anyone from ESRI confirm or comment ?

Bill
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Bill:

You are correct, attribute pop-ups do not work for map service layers with scale dependency set.  I have brought this to Esri's attention for years at User Conferences and the NIM is the result of me working with Esri Tech Support.  Yes, it persists in build 2500.

For a work-around, I have enabled labeling of features at a large scale to display some attributes.  This works fine if there are few attributes or you know which attributes are most important to view.  I can report that this behavior is not seen in ArcGIS Online.
0 Kudos
BillHoney
New Contributor III
Hi Joe,

Thanks for that.  Very frustrating.  I've been forced to re-write the "identify" tool.
I based it on some code that I found on this formum.  I can''t re-find it now, so I can't credit the original author.

It basically does a SOAP "Identify" query against all Map Services & builds a text string that I present in a PopUp window.
If its of any use to you, I will post it here (there is a screen grab attached) .

Regards,
Bill
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Bill, that's fantastic work!  You've solved your own problem and done so quite elegantly.  Bravo!

I think that you should post your solution, here, so others may benefit from your resourcefulness.

Thank you for sharing,
Joe
0 Kudos
BillHoney
New Contributor III
Hi Joe,
Attached is a sample project.
The code is plagiarised from elsewhere on this forum,  but I cant find it now to credit the original author.
It basically does a SOAP "Identify" on all MapServiceLayers in the map under the clicked point.

Its in two formats: 
1) a dockwindow (as per the original project)
2) a button that displays an HTML popup.

The button code re-uses the original TreeNode code & could do with a tidy up.

I hope this is useful,  until such times as ESRI fix the bug.

Cheers, Bill
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Bill:

Thank you much for sharing your work.  I imagine many will be happy to have this solution available for their users.

Best regards,
Joe
0 Kudos