ArcGIS Explorer Start-up Long?

11-12-2010 01:06 PM
JerryGarcia
Occasional Contributor II
I am implementing ArcGIS Explorer on a LAN without Internet access.

Does ArcGIS Explorer go out to the Internet when starting up?

If so, I am wondering if this could be disabled. 

All map services will be using HTTPS/SSL; HTTP traffic is blocked. 

I noticed ArcGIS Explorer was attempting to use HTTP on start-up to some IP addresses.

I've cleared all base maps; only local data services are used.

Any thoughts?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesStewart
New Contributor
I'm doing the same thing... I've also cleared the basemaps so I don't get the error but didn't realize Explorer may still be attempting to get out to the Internet... I'll be watching to see if you get an answer, would be nice to disable if this is the case.
0 Kudos
DaraBurlo
Esri Community Manager
There are several items that need internet access such as; the basemap gallery, find, routing and driving directions tools. You can disable these items and add your own basemaps, tools  & locator services by creating application configurations.

To get started creating application configurations for use in a disconnected environment, take a look at the following help topic http://webhelp.esri.com/arcgisexplorer/1500/en/firewall.htm

Dara
0 Kudos
JerryGarcia
Occasional Contributor II
I'm doing the same thing... I've also cleared the basemaps so I don't get the error but didn't realize Explorer may still be attempting to get out to the Internet... I'll be watching to see if you get an answer, would be nice to disable if this is the case.

I removed all basemaps from my configuration.  Then, I used fiddler and wireshark to monitor network traffic on start up and nothing is going out to the Internet.  Also, AGX starts up fairly quickly.

It appears the more basemaps you have, the longer AGX takes to start up.  If you have broken data connections, it takes a very long time.

I also noticed if you have broken data connections when switching from 2d to 3d views, it re-checks the broken data connections every time.  So the more layers in the contents view (and broken connections), the longer it takes to switch between views.

This is not to surprising
0 Kudos