ArcGIS Explorer opening up in Full Screen

07-25-2011 07:58 PM
StuOmo
by
New Contributor
Hi Guys,

I have recently bought a new laptop, when I open ArcGIS Explorer on it, it opens in this weird full screen mode.

I have tried re-installing the program but that doesn't help, can anyone help me with this issue?

P.S. As far as I'm aware I have no hardware or driver issues.

Cheers.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
AndreiIvanov
New Contributor III
Just in case I'd go and find the latest graphics driver for this laptop. It looks like graphics card related situation here.
0 Kudos
StuOmo
by
New Contributor
I have updated the on board Intel HD 3000 with Optimus and also my main graphics card, but still getting this issue. I can make it go away for a few seconds but then it will just come back, forcing me to end the task.

i7 2720QM (With Optimus)| GT555M | 8GB 1333MHz | 1TB (2x500GB) 7200rpm | Windows 7 HP SP1
0 Kudos
StuOmo
by
New Contributor
Think I fixed it, it was defaulted to use the GPU, seems to work on integrated.
0 Kudos
AndreiIvanov
New Contributor III
Stuart, it would be great if you tell all exactly what you change and how. We start seeing reports of bad performance with new integrated intel graphics card, and it would be beneficial for all.
0 Kudos
RonLeonard
New Contributor
This was happening to my installations of b1500 and b1700 on a new Dell Latitude E6420.

This system was ordered with the nVidia NVS4200M graphics card installed. Apparently the discrete graphics card no longer replaces or disables the integrated Intel HD Graphics 3000 chip.

Prompted by the previous post I started to look for the graphics settings that are vaguely referenced.

What seems to have worked in my case is:
Open the nVidia Control Panel in advanced mode.
In right pane, select "Manage 3D settings"
In left pane on the Global Settings tab, change the change the preferred graphics processor to "integrated"

OR

Move to the Program Settings tab
Add the ArcGIS Explorer Program (E3.exe)
NOTE: Once you add the program, there doesn't seem to be a way to remove it. The "Remove" button remains grayed-out.
And set the preferred processor to integrated.
Apply the settings

And relaunch ArcGIS Explorer.

I prefer the second option, to assign the processor specifically for the program, more as an exception. We'll see how it goes... but it so far works.
0 Kudos
StuOmo
by
New Contributor
Stuart, it would be great if you tell all exactly what you change and how. We start seeing reports of bad performance with new integrated intel graphics card, and it would be beneficial for all.

Apologies, did not see you're reply. In the NVIDIA Control Panel under the manager 3D settings panel I change the e3 executable to Integrated Graphics and everything went back to normal.

I hope that helps.

My specs are in a previous post of mine if that helps as well.
0 Kudos
robertsimpson
New Contributor

Hello Andryi,
We will be running ArcGIS 10.0 on Dell 6220's with Win 7 and HD 3000 integrated graphics processing. Since there is no other dedicated graphics processing card on these laptops should we be expecting any problems  running the GIS desktop software? For the near-term we will not be doing much 3d processing but would like to have the capability.

Thanks,

Bob
0 Kudos
lucasutterback
New Contributor
May sound like a funny question, but is there a way I can get ArcGIS Explorer to start in fullscreen or presentation?  I have another program that will be launching it and I want to make it at smooth of a transition as I can.
0 Kudos
AndreiIvanov
New Contributor III
May sound like a funny question, but is there a way I can get ArcGIS Explorer to start in fullscreen or presentation?  I have another program that will be launching it and I want to make it at smooth of a transition as I can.

You can start presentation right away. Got to Pearl->Map Properties->General and set "Start Presentation" in "When the Map Opens".
0 Kudos