ArcGIS Explorer doesn't show map in Windows Server 2008

07-19-2010 06:20 AM
RandyLariar
New Contributor
I've just installed ArcGIS Explorer on my Windows Server 2008 R2 machine and am trying to access the program for the first time. When it opens the top ribbon and left options are visible and working and the frame is there. But the area that is supposed to be a map doesn't load and it takes the image of whatever programs are running in the background. When I move around the entire program window, that screenshot of the background moves around with it.

I have checked to ensure my system exceeds all of the minimum and recommended requirements, but couldn't find any further troubleshooting tips. Can anyone point me in the right direction for what to try next?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
7 Replies
KonstantinFilimonenkov
New Contributor
I have absolutely the same problem but on Windows 7!
0 Kudos
JohnCorrigan
New Contributor
Same problem here with Windows 7.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
My best guess is that it is due to your graphics card and possibly resolved by installing a new driver,  (if new drivers are available) or maybe graphics card settings.

This is specifically for a case where you see your windows background displaying where the map should be displaying.

Mark
0 Kudos
BradKiep
New Contributor III
Anyone have any luck resolving this issue?  I have the same issue with a twist.  When I dock my laptop and use dual monitors, I can get Explorer to display normally on one monitor but not the other.  I can drag the Explorer window from one monitor to the other and it starts working, then drag it back and it stops displaying the map window.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
KeithAubin
New Contributor III
This happens in ArcGIS Explorer when your graphics card is not up to the task. Servers generally have nothing special for graphics cards since they generally are not used to run desktop applications, in fact some servers have no graphics card at all.

You can try upgrading you drivers, but it probably wont help. To run ArcGIS explorer properly you really need something better than the built in graphics cards that come in servers/cheap desktops & laptops. I'd highly recommend upgrading to something in the Nvidia Quadro line of graphics cards. They are meant for workstations and play nice with programs like ArcMap and AutoCAD.

You don't have to spend four grand on a high end 2GB Quadro card unless you doing lots of 3D rendering. The cheaper 256/512MB cards will run most workstation programs just fine and they only cost about $80-$200 (depending on the model). Stay away from gaming graphics cards. They may appear to give you more bang for you buck, but the drivers usually are not geared towards workstation performance and often times just plain don't work with some applications (you've been warned!). This is especially important when buying a laptop, pay close attention to the graphics card they come with since they are almost never upgradeable. You don't want buyers remorse. Cheap out on the processor if you have to but get an Nvidia Quadro graphics card. You wont be sorry.

I hope this helps.
0 Kudos
BradKiep
New Contributor III
Same problem here with Windows 7.

Have you found a solution for this issue?  I can not get the map to display on my laptop but when I drag ArcScene, ArcGlobe, or ArcExplorer, to a second monitor it works fine.  Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Jeroende_Jong
New Contributor
a simular problem working on windows 7: when I try to open a *.nmf in the map 'Arcgis Explorer', his map does not show the same *.nmf files as I see in MicroSoftExplorer.... wierd
0 Kudos