ARCGIS Explorer doesn't always start on Windows 8

08-11-2013 10:35 AM
GrahamCheckley
New Contributor
I'm running Windows 8 and ARCGIS Explorer 2500.  I find that it doesn't always start up - the flash screen appears and that's as far as I get, I then have to use the Task Manager to get rid of it.  This seems to happen about 50% of the time.  I also find that sometimes my Bing map doesn't display but I find that click and drag seems to fix this.  Any suggestions?

Regards,
Graham.

p.s. Great application when it's running smoothly.
0 Kudos
9 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I'm running Windows 8 and ARCGIS Explorer 2500.  I find that it doesn't always start up - the flash screen appears and that's as far as I get, I then have to use the Task Manager to get rid of it.  This seems to happen about 50% of the time.  I also find that sometimes my Bing map doesn't display but I find that click and drag seems to fix this.  Any suggestions?

Keep doing what your doing. This happens to me constantly, whether its using the app when installed locally or using the 'portable' version. Happens to me way more than 50% of the time. I just keep the task manager open and continuously end the task, start the program, end the task, start the program. I think ESRI states it's a video driver issue but this has happened to me on Windows 7 as well. I've run this on about 15 desktops and laptops now and have had nothing but loading issues or basemap issues with version 2500. ESRI better release the next version quick to fix all these issues. Hard to deploy as a GIS viewer when it hardly runs.
0 Kudos
JodiFlory
New Contributor II
ArcGIS Explorer 2500 build will not open at all for me on Windows 8 64 bit - hangs after splash screen.  Also have a Windows 7 machine that it doesn't open on most of the time.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
ArcGIS Explorer 2500 build will not open at all for me on Windows 8 64 bit - hangs after splash screen.  Also have a Windows 7 machine that it doesn't open on most of the time.

That's what the discussion is in regards to - in order to close the program one has to use the Task Manager to close it. I just tried installing 1750 on my Windows 8 laptop and that appears to run more often than not. Build 2500 always hangs at the splash screen but 1750 will start right up 8 out of 10 times.
0 Kudos
NicholasRoehrdanz
New Contributor
I am having this problem with Windows 8.  It worked fine until recently.  I did a system restore to the beginning of August and it Explorer Desktop opened fine.  I then installed all pending Windows Updates and it stopped opening again.  I haven't pinned down which update is causing the problem.
0 Kudos
NicholasRoehrdanz
New Contributor
Nevermind, doing this fixed it for me (I am using a Surface Pro tablet):

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/88855-ArcGIS-Explorer-Desktop-running-on-Surface-Pro-Tablet

I'm still not entirely sure why it worked previously and then stopped working.
0 Kudos
MarkLepofsky
New Contributor
In my case, I just changed the compatibility on E3.exe under Windows 8 to be Windows 7 and it started working again for me. I never had problems under Windows 7 with it not loading (as some others on this thread have reported; for you, I would try an earlier version in the compatibility settings). Note that my Intel HD Graphics adapter is version 3000.
0 Kudos
NathanCoon
New Contributor III
I changed the compatibility to windows 7 and it still does the same thing - i have to keep task manager open and kill and restart the program several times before it will load. Each time it fails, the CPU and memory activity go up and down for like a 5 count, then all goes to 0 and it hangs.
0 Kudos
BillHoney
New Contributor III
I had a similar problem - it looked like a modal dialog box wasn't being displayed properly??
I've set the compatibility mode to Windows 7 and it seems fixed

Right Click ,  "Troubleshoot Compatibility" 
Hope this helps,

Bill
0 Kudos
GrahamCheckley
New Contributor

An update to my previous posting, thank you all for your kind replies.

I've now loaded build 2505 onto my Windows 8.1 laptop, and found that setting the compatibility mode to Windows 7 seems to get it starting most (?!!) of the time.  I don't think that ARCGIS Explorer likes running along side other applications on my laptop (particularly Google Chrome), but I've been able to use it for a couple of mapping projects in the last week and that is a good thing!

Best regards and thanks again

Graham

0 Kudos