ArcGIS Explorer 2500 discussion

06-27-2012 05:19 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Questions and comments in regards to ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta and the ArcGIS Explorer 2500 release.

thanks,
ArcGIS Explorer Team
0 Kudos
158 Replies
LukePhilips
New Contributor III
Downloaded the beta and we are off to the races. I like that the 'Check for Updates' option says that there is an update available (the older 1750 version). Where it says this is 'portable', does that mean if you do the install to a USB-stick instead of the typical C:\Program Files\ then it is 'portable'?
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
After installing to any location, you can just copy the "Explorer (86)" folder and all of its contents to any windows folder / usb location and then run the software by double clicking the e3.exe in the Explorer (86)\bin folder.  You could also set up a shortcut to the e3.exe location.

Mark
0 Kudos
DanHuber
New Contributor III
Did we lose the option for Bing basemaps? 

I uninstalled 1750 and then put the Beta on my machine, so I already had a "My Default Map.nmf." When I first launched the 2012 beta, the Bing imagery showed up properly.  But after switching the basemap to "US Topo", shutting down the app, and restarting, I noticed that Bing is no longer an option.  I have also ensured that I am logged into ArcGIS Online, so that should not be the problem.

I do like having the option to finally put text on the map - kudos for that.
0 Kudos
DanHuber
New Contributor III
Did we lose the option for Bing basemaps? 

Wondering how much detail you guys are after with regards to testing the 2012 Beta.  Here is an interesting one related to my previous post.

As stated above, could not load Bing base maps with AGX 2012 - the option was not listed.   So I fired up ArcGIS ArcMap (ArcView) 10.0 while AGX 2012 was also running.  When I attempted to add a base map to ArcMap, the basemap opened in AGX as a new ArcGIS Layer and not in ArcMap.

Here are the details Package Layer Properties:

Name:    Basemap
Source:  http://www.arcgisonline.com/sharing/content/items/71d6d656cb2a4ded8fce35982ebdff25/item.pkinfo
Type:   Layer Package
Coordinate System:  WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere

Name:  Bing Maps Hybrid
Source:
Coordinate System: WGS_1984_Web_Mercator_Auxiliary_Sphere

So, initial problem is kind of solved, but I don't think what just happened was by design.
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
I just reproduced what Dan outlined.  With Explorer 2012 beta open, I opened an empty/new session of ArcMap (ArcInfo).  In ArcMap I went to >File >Add Data >Add Basemap... >Bing Maps Road.  ArcMap grayed out for a little while and then a Basemap/Bing Maps Road layer package appeared in the TOC of my Explorer 2012 application.  The ArcMap TOC remains empty.  The same behavior happens with other Basemap options from ArcMap.
0 Kudos
DanHuber
New Contributor III
I just reproduced what Dan outlined.

Joe,

Did you also notice the same issue I was having - where the BING base maps where no longer listed as an option?
0 Kudos
JimSibbald
Esri Contributor
In ArcGIS Explorer Desktop 1750 there were Expansion Packs (Data Access, Fonts and Projection).  The Projection Expansion pack allowed the use of CUSTOM Transformations (set up using PEOBJEDITHOME) which included the OSTN02 NTv2 transformation which is the most accurate for UK.  This worked well in ArcGIS Explorer for Desktop 1750.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15626[/ATTACH]

At ArcGIS 10.1 this NTv2 transformation was included in pe.dll, therefore there is no need for PEOBJEDITHOME and the transformation has a FactoryCode of 5339, however as with most NTv2 files the user requires to download the .gsb file from Ordnance Survey. In ArcGIS Explorer for Desktop 2012 Beta although the pe.dll is 10.1 there is no OSGB_1936_To_WGS_1984_7 transformation present (presumably due to the .gsb file not being present).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15625[/ATTACH]

Will there be a Projection Expansion Pack for ArcGIS Explorer for Desktop 2012 which will allow the use of the NTv2 transformation?
0 Kudos
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Correct, Dan.  I see no Bing background products/options in the Basemap gallery of Explorer 2012 beta.
0 Kudos
GeorgeDurkee
Occasional Contributor
Just fiddling with Beta now. Looks great: loads much faster; excellent addition of map text; also seem to have solved ability to print popups and shapes on maps (for some reason, with 1700 & 1750 I was unable to have drawn shapes and their popups show when I went to print or Copy to Clipboard. This was true on a number of machines I used).

I seem to be in some strange loop for Add Ins, though. When I go to Resources > Add Ins, it asks if I want to restart to load one. Not sure what it's loading, but restart doesn't end the popup. I've got:

Add Ins Online
File WithCoordinates
Raster Georeferencing
Create or Add GeoTagged Images

I'm also unable to remove any of them.

I also had a third party Add In developed for search and rescue. I can't install that, though it worked on build 1750.

Workaround is to keep 1750 on my machine. Can I then use 2012 beta off a USB?

Thoughts and comments welcome

Thanks!

George
0 Kudos