ArcGIS Explorer 2500 discussion

06-27-2012 05:19 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Questions and comments in regards to ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta and the ArcGIS Explorer 2500 release.

thanks,
ArcGIS Explorer Team
0 Kudos
158 Replies
JamesNyberg
New Contributor II
I cannot build our EAZ any longer since installing 2500?  The SDK page says the API (SDK) hasn't changed since 1500, but are there any other SDK related updates that need to be applied to be able to properly build an AGX Add-In project?  The exact error message I put in its own thread, link below:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/65213-Cannot-build-AddIn-The-quot-MakeEaz-quot-task-failed-unexpect....
0 Kudos
BrianKowalski
New Contributor III
Mark, Mike, Bernie - ArcGIS Explorer 2500 Team,

We were very excited about the release of 2500 and downloaded, installed, and tested it out right away.

It looks good, performs well, and seems solid.

When we loaded up our custom configuration with 26 Extensions and Addin Libraries totaling over 50 Doc Windows and Buttons we were very disappointed to see everything that we took so much time to lay out on custom tabs and groups using small and large icons as appropriate - dumped into the AddIns Tab filling it up from left to right as far as the eye can see.

Our choices are limited and none of them are good. We can:

1) Turn off the option for our users to load AddIns locally that are important to them but not for everyone in our user community.
2) Create "custom" configurations of our Custom application for specific people including their required AddIns creating a Configuration Management nightmare.
3) Turn on the AddIns Tab and tell our users they have to page thru 50 buttons to find their own AddIns.
4) Keep our config clean - without the AddIns tab and tell our users if they want to use our Applcation and their own AddIns they need to run two instances of AGX. One launching our Application configuration and one launching AGX sans config.

Are there any other options you can recommend?

Thanks much,
0 Kudos
yugrakhash
New Contributor
Thank you for developing this free tool, which is, based on previous versions, excellent.
I was eagerly waiting for this new release.

Sadly, the installer crashed on me with a runtime error.
Here are the details, I hope you can help:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: Setup.exe_ArcGIS
  Application Version: 10.1.3145.0
  Application Timestamp: 50edb82b
  Fault Module Name: Setup.exe
  Fault Module Version: 10.1.3145.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 50edb82b
  Exception Code: 40000015
  Exception Offset: 00032862
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 67d9
  Additional Information 2: 67d918b5d2dc6eb7485f13ad2e1b79c1
  Additional Information 3: f94f
  Additional Information 4: f94f5a2787afc8bd13642b47d37a4eee
0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning
Occasional Contributor III
Stefan,

Yes, a 64 bit version is planned, it currently lags a bit behind the 32 bit version, as we get the code working in 64 bit.  Yes, Add-ins from 1750 will work In ArcGIS Explorer 2012.  For the 64 bit version you will need to confirm that the add-ins were targetted at "Any CPU"

Mark

The ArcGIS Explorer Desktop build 2500 System Requirements say that it can be installed on 64bit but does not say that it is a 32bit version that will be installed - or at least I did not see that stated anywhere.

Consequently, I was surprised to see "ArcGIS Explorer Desktop (32 bit)" installed on my Windows 7 (64 bit) laptop when I installed Build 2500 last night.

Perhaps a note could be added to that help page and to the ArcGIS Explorer Desktop Installation Guide clarifying what to expect when installing ArcGIS Explorer Desktop Build 2500 on 64bit Windows at present.
0 Kudos
ChuckLopez
New Contributor III
Our Oracle-based SDE servers use user-schema geodatabases but apparently that connection type is still unsupported.

After installing the 2500 Data Access Expansion Pack I was unable to connect to the user-schemas although I was connecting to Master (sde.DEFAULT). So the following will work - sde:oracle11g:oranet but not this - sde:oracle11g:oranet:fred 

Are there any plans to update the Data Access Expansion Pack to support Oracle User Schema? I feel this is a crtical omission.

Much less important but annoying nevertheless  is the connection dialog requires all connection boxes (Server, Service, Database) to be filled in before allowing the connection request to send even though only Service is required by Oracle.
0 Kudos
SveinungRaheim
Occasional Contributor
Sveinung,

I sounds like you are encountering two issues.

1.  The locator you are using crashes when added.

2. Searching for a Place using ArcGIS online finds the place, but does not correctly zoom to it.

For 1, does the crash occur if you add the following locator.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=2762115db7974238aac21d5d0720a769

For 2,  Does this occur with all places you find? (ex. Search for "Redlands' and it zooms to 0,0)

Thanks,
Mark

I have downloaded the US-postal locator. It does not work within arcGIS explorer desktop. I will try to summarize my huge problems with the find tool in build 2500:

1. I have created a local locator fil. I can add it under ArcGIS explorer options "Manage Locators". Then I can choose it from the dropdown menu in the find tool dialog box. I then write a search string, the locator quickly find the place, then zooms to position 0°0.0000' 15°0.0000'. If I highlight the search result, right click and choose "add to map", then double click, then the map zooms back to the correct place

2. If I try the us postal locator, I have to write a zip-code to get it work. I write "92373" and am again sent to 0°0.000' 15°0.0000'.

3. I try to use my locator file published through ArcGIS server: I have added this file through "Application configuration manager". The address to the locator is "http://kart.fmno.no/arcgis/services/stedsnavn/Stedsnavn_Svalbard/GeocodeServer"

I have tested both the locators in arcgis desktop (version 10.1). They work fine there.

I have also tried to find coordinates. This did not work optimal in build 1750, but it worked with some finesse. Now it does not work at all: In build 1750 I could find coordinats in either lat/long or UTM. The trick in build 1750 was to have the same set up format for the map as for the coordinate format you wanted to find. I.e: To find desimal minutes, set the coordinates format to desimal minutes. To find UTM, set the coordinates format to UTM.
In build 2500 it does not find coordinates at all - it only says "No results found. The place you typed can not be found."

My last problem:
When use the "Manage locators" under ArcGIS explorer options, ArcGIS explorer crashes immidiately if i try to choose one of the exixting locators. This meens that I can not remove a locator after I have added it (i.e. for test purposes with the US postal locator).

Finally: If I remove my "custom locator" added with ArcGIS explorer application configuration, then the standard arcGIS online locator comes back. This work!
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Add-ins used in the configuration also show up on the add-ins tab

There is no workaround for resolving this, we will try and fix it for the next release.

Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Our Oracle-based SDE servers use user-schema geodatabases but apparently that connection type is still unsupported.

We will be reviewing ArcSDE connections for the next release. 

-Mark
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
....In build 2500 it does not find coordinates at all - it only says "No results found. The place you typed can not be found."

My last problem:
When use the "Manage locators" under ArcGIS explorer options, ArcGIS explorer crashes immidiately if i try to choose one of the exixting locators.

We have repro cases for this in house and will address for the next release.

We have reproduced the find issue by changing language locale to one that use comma in place of decimal.  The Find functionality is not handling this correctly.

The crash with managing locators is reproducible on Windows 8 computers.  The locators can be added and used (activate from the find doc window).  To remove a locator, using windows explorer navigate to your %AppData%\Local\ESRI\ArcGIS Explorer\Locators folder and remove the file.

-Mark
0 Kudos
SveinungRaheim
Occasional Contributor
We have repro cases for this in house and will address for the next release.

We have reproduced the find issue by changing language locale to one that use comma in place of decimal.  The Find functionality is not handling this correctly.

Thanks for your quick replies.

Are you planning a new release soon?

I have norwegian operative system, Windows 7 professional. But I do use "." instead of ",". I have experienced for many years that this save me from trouble with arcGIS in general.

Sveinung
0 Kudos