ArcGIS Explorer 2500 discussion

06-27-2012 05:19 PM
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Questions and comments in regards to ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta and the ArcGIS Explorer 2500 release.

thanks,
ArcGIS Explorer Team
0 Kudos
158 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Beta will not install on Windows 8, and that OS is going to be a reality soon. I find it somewhat funny because the older 1750 build will install just fine on Win8.

The ArcGIS Explorer 2012 final release setup will install on Windows 8.  The beta installer did not have the logic for Windows 8.

Mark
0 Kudos
GregAnderson2
New Contributor
Any update on when 2012 is going to ship?
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
The ArcGIS Explorer 2012 final release setup will install on Windows 8.  The beta installer did not have the logic for Windows 8.

Mark

A workaround for installing and using ArcGIS Explorer 2012 beta on windows 8.

When you run the setup the install files are placed in your %tmp%\ArcGISExporer_build2012Beta folder.  In this folder you will see two Windows Installer Package executables.  PerUser (non admin install) and AllUsers.  You can run either of these to install ArcGIS Explorer on your Windows 8 computer.

Mark
0 Kudos
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
I keep running into problems when using the software w/biggish shapefiles. Opening attribute table is one and running an attribute query to make a label is another - the entire table gets pulled into memory it seems 3 GB and kaplooey! AGX freezes or dies.

Generally slow and unpredictable drawing from shapefiles and from .lyr files referencing shapefiles. Much better when referencing .lpk, but that means we need to lpk hundreds of shapefiles.  Sometimes freezes.
0 Kudos
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
(I realize that new features for AGX are not going to be added at this point, but with the AGX Add-in framework, maybe this could be an add-in on release day?)

Measure Tool really needs to have a way to put the lat and long on one line, without "Latitude" and "Longitude"

Over and over again, we copy and paste coordinates from one app to another and we cannot do this in AGX (or ArcMap) without fixing things up - in ArcMap, pasting requires putting the numbers in one and a time in Go To XY. In AGX, pasting is fine, but getting the coordinates out via the Measure tool meanings having the pull them out of text that looks like:

Latitude: 34.5
Longtidue: -117.6

Is there another tool, setting, or add-in that can avoid this!
0 Kudos
HarryBowman
New Contributor III
(I realize that new features for AGX are not going to be added at this point, but with the AGX Add-in framework, maybe this could be an add-in on release day?(

It is possible to add related record look  up in the API (someone asked and was told to write their own, with the API call suggested), but it would be awesome to have this functionality in the gallery ready to go.
0 Kudos
BobLooney
New Contributor
Jpg image files geo referenced in Google Earth, saved as KML files, then brought in to 2012 beta don't display. They displayed fine before 2012 and after uninstalling 2012 and reinstalling 1750.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Jpg image files geo referenced in Google Earth, saved as KML files, then brought in to 2012 beta don't display. They displayed fine before 2012 and after uninstalling 2012 and reinstalling 1750.

I was not able to reproduce this problem.  Can you share the KMZ file that you created?

Thanks,
Mark
0 Kudos
FredericGoulet
New Contributor
Hi,

Does the final build of Explorer 2012 will still require the older .Net Framework 3.5 ?

If yes, why not use the newer and more efficient .Net Framework 4.0 ?

Thanks

Frederic
0 Kudos
BobLooney
New Contributor
I was not able to reproduce this problem.  Can you share the KMZ file that you created?

Thanks,
Mark

too big to attach, 6 megs when zipped
0 Kudos