At 2500 some modifications to how things are handled in User Appdata profile introduced an error. You can work around this by doing the following.
In your Windows File browser if you type in.
You will see a Connections.xml file in this folder.
If you copy this file to %appdata%\Roaming\ESRI\arcgis explorer
The Application Configuration Manager will be able to find the Explorer Connections xml file, and you will be able to add them to your application configuration.
This helped getting the connections available in the Application Configuration Manager. This did not make the connections available to my users once I deployed the configuration file. When my users run the configuration file, they see only connections they have created locally or no connections at all and must specify the information.
I have not been able to reproduce the condition you are encountering. After copying the connections file to the roaming folder, I have created application configurations with service and file geodatabase connection. I have then successfully used them on separate machines.
I uploaded the application configuration here http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=780152ce0c5a447f844b4160c6f9a8a5
Do you see the connections when you use it?
Thanks for the quick reply! I do see the connections when I use the above configuration. I see that the information is written to C:\Users\janiceb\AppData\Local\ESRI\ArcGIS Explorer\AppConfig\connecttest(1). The Connections.xml file in this location shows the connections that I see in the app. Also in the AppConfig folder I see the configuration that I built but the Connections.xml file has no connections.
When I deploy my configuration file I place it in a folder that is accessible by my users and write the location to the registry on their computers. The registry entry is AppConfig under Explorer2500\Settings with the path as the value. I have successfully used this method of deployment with previous versions of Explorer. It has been a while since I have deployed a new version and may have something wrong however, the other information in the configuration is working. Just no connections.
Thanks for your help,