Troubleshooting Layers Disappearing on Zooms

07-27-2011 12:11 PM
JanisBurall
New Contributor
I am using AE Desktop Build 1700 on several computers which pass the system requirements check.  I have about 10 layers of water & wastewater (manholes, lines, hydrants, valves, etc.) in a fgdb, added as .lyrs and saved in the .nmf.  The data is not complex, not a geometric network.  I have cleared caches, simplified symbols and removed groups, folders, and layers trying to fix a problem I experience on mulitiple machines of one or more layers not updating after a zoom.  For example, sometimes the layer does not draw but its labels do, or, sometimes a layer will remain thick and fuzzy (not refresh at the new scale) though other layers refresh.  I set various scale depencies ArcMap where I created the layers, but not for layers to turn off when zoomed in!  I have about ten other layers such as parcels, district bounds and address pts also saved in the .nmf. The extents of my local data (not the base maps) are only about a couple square miles.  Can you give me some ideas for troubleshooting?
0 Kudos
15 Replies
BrianLocke
Occasional Contributor II
I know this might sound like an easy fix and may be silly to mention but have you tried to check what the visible extents are in ArcMap 10???

further.  I too have had the same issues with cacheing lyr's  alot of the times I have found myself deleting the caches and have had them come back for a usable amount of time but then ultimately they dissapear again.
0 Kudos
DustinDunnill
Occasional Contributor
Thought it would be good to update this with what I have found as an easy fix for this for the time being.  A right click on the layer in the contents window then a left click on "refresh" seems to clear any hick ups for me until the next disappearance, then a refresh is necessary as needed.

Hopefully this cache issue can be iron out in the future.  Sounds like it will.
0 Kudos
kristywoodall
New Contributor
Can anyone tell me if this issue has been resolved? I have just updgraded to ArcGIS 10.1 and have created mulitple personal geodatabases with layers that are not displaying when using the zoom tool.  It is not clear from me on the thread how to address this issue.
0 Kudos
JanisBurall
New Contributor

This issue was happening to me while I was working in ArcGIS Explorer Desktop in 2013. I actually don’t use that product anymore, so I don’t know if it was ever fully resolved. I have not had it occur in straightup ArcGIS 10.x (as opposed to Explorer). Sorry I cannot be of more help. My suggestion is to contact ESRI support to help you troubleshoot the problem. Good luck!

Janis

0 Kudos
JanisBurall
New Contributor
Hi, kcwoodall.  I have been frequently clearing the layer caches in AED and varying the layer refresh times as suggested in previous posts.  I continue to do this through our upgrade from build 1750 to build 2500.  It is a lot of maintenance, but it seems have cleared up the problem.
0 Kudos
kristywoodall
New Contributor
Thanks for the quick response.  I do not run AED but could look into it, my machine would support it.  Do you know if there is a way to vary the refresh times in ArcCatalog?  I am supporting folks around the state that do not all run ArcInfo but need to edit these layers in personal geodatabases and it would be great to have a permanent fix for them.  BTW - seems to work ok if I export the files to shapefiles - problem goes away.
0 Kudos