Trouble Rendering .lyr Files

08-25-2011 06:09 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: janemillerPAL

I was about to deploy AGX to 50 workstations for the first time but I am having major problems, primarily with drawing layer files.

Online web services, shapefiles and geodatabases draw fine for the most part but local layer files I add have major issues with drawing the symbology (labeling seems fine). As I zoom and pan the symbology will flicker but that�??s as close to it being rendered as it gets. The program freezes constantly with the only solution to end task. They draw perfectly in ArcGIS.

I've updated drivers, relocated layers and their source files to my C drive, refined McAfee settings, and refreshed layers/cleared caches (which often crashes AGX). I uploaded the layer files to ArcGIS Online and have the same trouble with them.

I want to add layer files primarily for their labeling capabilities (AGX options for shapefiles seem to be limited to pop-ups and display tips). I attached a zipped layer file and a screenshot of the layer showing it being half rendered - although generally none of the linework draws.

Any recommendations, either for AGX or for the shapefiles/layers themselves?

Dell Precision T7500
Intel(R)Xeon(R) CPU E5606 @ 2.13GHz (X2)
6.00 GB RAM, 64 Bit
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800

AGX 1700
ArcGIS 10
0 Kudos
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: mbockenhauer

Jane,

I added the layer file to ArcMap (10), fixed the data source, and saved it back out.  I then added the layer to ArcGIS Explorer's default map.  All of the polygons display, and it appears to be working fine.

From the screen shot you sent, it looks like the polygons are being cut off, perhaps due to an extent error.  I have seen a similar display while trouble shooting a map transformation error in ArcGIS Explorer  (this error is fixed for the next release 1750).  Are you specifying a specific coordinate system and map transformation in ArcGIS Explorer's map properties?   This might be the cause for the display issue..??

Mark
0 Kudos
JaneMiller
New Contributor III
I've been working in WGS84 with layers in Mass state plane.

I created a new map in state plane projection but the linework still didn't render.

I created a new map in WGS84 and set the correct transformation and the linework DID draw but VERY slowly and intermittently.

Do you know if the transformation fix for 1750 will solve all issues with rendering layer files?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Looking at this again, I notice that the picture you included does not match the layer file that you attached.   What line symbology are you using to draw the polygons?

..or are you seeing this problem when you use a the solid line as defined in the layer file that you attached?

Are you working in 2D or 3D?

thanks,
Mark
0 Kudos
JaneMiller
New Contributor III
The image does include the layer I attached...but it also includes a layer with red linework...the black lines aren't showing up at all in that image - just the labeling. I've attached one layer, one shapefile, and one additional screen capture image to this message.

I've simply used a line defined in ArcMap (1.0, black, continuous), set a maximum scale for the symbology, and min and max scales for the labeling and exported this to a layer file.

In AGX the shapefile draws fine, layer does not; both draw fine in ArcMap.

Working in 2D, no special 'effects' turned on.

Thanks...
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The cause of the drawing issue is the visibility scale "in beyond."    When it is set it is causing the drawing to work in-correctly for local vector data.

To work around this problem, put your layer inside of a group layer in ArcMap.  The layer will draw correctly, and it will still turn on and off when you want it to.

The attached layer package contains your original layer dragged into a group.. in ArcMap.

Mark
0 Kudos