Load nmf and config file automatically for inexperienced users?

10-16-2012 09:07 AM
StephaniSchupbach
New Contributor
I'm trying to show how GIS can make life simpler for a few users who aren't very computer savvy.  I've zipped up the data and nmf, but of course the configuration file doesn't transfer since it's in my user profile.  Is there a way I can load this file in for them so they don't have to go into the configuration manager and load it themselves?  Ideally, I want them to do as little as possible on startup.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
norie
by
New Contributor III
You can copy the shortcut for ArcGIS Explorer and modify the target to look something like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Explorer\bin\E3.exe" /AppConfig c:\path\to\appconfig.ncfg

This way, you can create an application specific shortcut. You would want to store the Application Configuration file in neutral location (non profile specific).  Also note, the ncfg file doesn't have to be local, it could be a network location.

You can also modify the registry so that the application configuration is automatically loaded for any user that logs in on the machine. The drawback being that it is difficult to load ArcGIS Explorer without an Application Configuration afterwords (barring another registry modification).

More Information on Setting your Application Configuration

If you go the route of registry editing. You can create a .reg file that'll do the registry setting for you. The contents would like to similar to this:

32-BIT VERSION

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ESRI\Explorer1750\Settings]
"AppConfig"="C:\\path\to\AppConfig.ncfg"

64-BIT VERSION

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ESRI\Explorer1750\Settings]
"AppConfig"="C:\\path\to\AppConfig.ncfg"
0 Kudos
StephaniSchupbach
New Contributor
Thanks for the ideas.  The users are spread all across the country and don't have access to one network drive -- but maybe I can talk to their IT Depts to edit the registry.  I appreciate the time you took to answer the question and to provide the links.
0 Kudos