Gecoding in ArcGIS 10.5 fails to show results

06-01-2018 05:23 AM
AnandJeyaraj
New Contributor

I have an Excel worksheet with USA zip codes, which need to be geocoded and displayed in ArcGIS Desktop 10.5.

First, I downloaded the "USA Zip Code Areas" layer from ArcGIS online and created a new address locator using the "US Address - ZIP 5-digit" style. Next, I imported the Excel worksheet into ArcGIS and geocoded the addresses.

The ArcGIS system completed the geocoding process but did not display any results on the map. A new layer of points gets added to the Table of Contents, which contains the expected data rows, but the points are not displayed on the map.

I have previously used ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 for the same problem with success.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Is your geocode result in shapefile format or in a geodatabase?

What geometry type is listed in the 'Shape' field of the "USA Zip Code Areas" layer when you open the attribute table?

0 Kudos
AnandJeyaraj
New Contributor

Thank you, Shana.

The geocode result is being saved to a file geodatabase (as prompted in the dialog).

The geometry type is listed as "polygon" in the 'Shape' field on the "USA Zip Code Areas" layer.

FYI-- The attribute table of the geocoded layer of points contains columns such as "Distance", "X", "Y", "DisplayX", and "DisplayY". All such columns have "0" as values for all rows. To further test, I added two new fields (i.e., Longitude and Latitude) and used the "Calculate Geometry" option, which resulted in NULL values for all rows.

[As a comparison, I recall that ArcGIS 10.1 did not provide similar columns at least by default and also produced usable Longitude and Latitude values when "Calculate Geometry" was used.]

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Anand:

Do you get the same results when you save the geocode result out to a shapefile?

Is the status for all the records in the geocode result ‘U’ for unmatched?

Do you get results returned when you search for a zip code in the Find tool or Gecoding toolbar using the same address locator that you geocoded the table with?

0 Kudos
AnandJeyaraj
New Contributor

Thank you, Shana.

Yes, I get the same results when saving the geocode result as a shapefile.

The geocode results include both "M" and "U" on the Status field.

When I search for a zip code using the Geocoding toolbar, the system seems to highlight (i.e., a green circle pops in and out) the correct spot on the map! But the map does not display any symbol related to the geocoded point layer.

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

There was a fix installed into 10.5.1 that fixes this.  Can you upgrade?

Brad

0 Kudos
AnandJeyaraj
New Contributor

Thank you, Brad.

I shall check with my system administrators to determine if I can get 10.5.1 installed.

0 Kudos
AnandJeyaraj
New Contributor

A follow-up question for you please, if I may.

I reviewed: http://downloads.esri.com/support/downloads/other_/1051-IssuesAddressedList_07052017.pdf and found the following entry:

BUG-000103072
Unable to return point output when geocoding with Zip 5, City State, State, and Zip+4 Range locators based on polygon reference data.

Do you think a separate fix/patch is available for applying on ArcGIS 10.5 or do we have to choose a complete install of ArcGIS 10.5.1 to solve the problem?

Thank you

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Anand:

You would need to install 10.5.1 to get the fix. There is a workaround available for the issue, which is to use the Feature to Point tool in ArcToolbox > Data Management Tools > Features toolset to convert the polygons to points. Then use the points to build the address locator based on the US Zip 5 digit style.

0 Kudos
AnandJeyaraj
New Contributor

Thank you, Shana.

I shall share the info with my system administrators.

0 Kudos