Configurations and Default Maps

09-26-2011 05:47 AM
JaneMiller
New Contributor III
Just deployed AGX to several staff and having trouble with the configuration/default maps.

Everyone's programs point to a config file on the server, the config file is set to open a particular NMF located on the server, and 'always open this map' is checked.

My understanding from the Help section - quoted below - is that the map is saved locally but every time it is opened the original file is checked to see if there are any changes and if so it opens the revised map.

This is not happening - AGX opens 'My Default Map' and is ignoring the fact that the map file it is supposed to open from the server has been updated, so everyone is opening outdated maps.

Is there a setting I am missing? Is there something on the workstations preventing the application config manager from checking for updates to the NCFG file? Is this a bug?

When you start ArcGIS Explorer for the first time, the default map is automatically opened for you. The default map is also the starting point for new maps that you create. By default, the default map is the Esri default map, but you can specify your own ArcGIS Explorer map (.nmf) to be the default map for the configuration. Select the Use your own map radio button and then click Choose map... to browse for the nmf you want to use as the map for your configuration.

If you want the configuration�??s map to always be opened by default when a user starts ArcGIS Explorer, check the Always open this map option. This is useful when you are often updating the configuration�??s map with new information that you want your users to have access when they first start ArcGIS Explorer, or when the configuration�??s functionality is tied to a specific map....

When a user runs ArcGIS Explorer using an application configuration, the .ncfg is copied locally and cached on their computer to reduce network traffic as they work with the application. When you update a configuration using the configuration manager, the next time a user starts up Explorer, they will automatically see those changes.

This is possible because when you create a configuration .ncfg file, another file called an info-card is also created (.info.xml). This info-card is a small file that tracks when the configuration has been modified and allows ArcGIS Explorer to verify whether the .ncfg file needs to be re-copied to get the updated configuration.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Jane,

It should be working. I tried it with 1750, and starting ArcGIS Explorer shows me the map from the configuration.

I started the application configuration manger and specified the map to use.

Then I clicked OK and saved the configuration to my server. (ex. \\server\c$\wwwroot\server.ncfg)

In ArcGIS Explorer I then set the application configuration to http://server/server.ncfg

When I start ArcGIS Explorer it uses the specified map.  As an ArcGIS Explorer user, I modified the map and saved it as my default map, but the next time I started ArcGIS Explorer it still uses the map from the configuration.   I also see the updates as desired, when I modify the map in the configuration.  It is possible that there is something else causing a conflict.  If you try the above experiment, just the one setting, does it work?

Mark
0 Kudos
JaneMiller
New Contributor III
Yes - this is the precise procedure I have done on everyone's computers, including my own several times.

The default map still opens after making changes to the NMF that the config points to.

I can advise everyone to navigate to Open but getting default to work would be better.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

The default map still opens after making changes to the NMF that the config points to.

The config does not point to an NMF file.  When you create the configuration and set the map to open, the Map/NMF is copied into the configuration.  It is part of the configuration.  If you update the configuration, users of the configuration should see the new map that you have put into the configuration.

Maybe this explains what your are experiencing.  The configuration needs to be updated with the new map.  Modify the configuration and add the new map that you want your users to see.

Mark
0 Kudos
JaneMiller
New Contributor III
Not sure I understand...

If I have a configuration that opens a specific map, and at some point that map is revised by me, the configuration must be re-saved for everyone to access the revised map, even if the NMF file name/ location doesn't change?

I plan on having 50+ people access one map that I want to make changes to frequently.
0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor
Jane,

Think of the application configuration as being the map.

When you make a change to the NMF, you will need to modify the application configuration and add the updated NMF to it.

Your 50+ people access the application configuration.   All you have to do is update the configuration with the latest version of the map.

Mark
0 Kudos