What is the difference between Dashboard and Experience Builder?

Jump to solution
02-03-2021 07:00 AM
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

I have dabbled a little with Experience Builder and Dashboard.  There is a lot of overlap in functionality between the two.  What are the main differences in the capabilities of each tool?  Please give me some guidance on when I should choose to build a Dashboard or an Experience.

Thanks,

Bernie.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kara_Shindle

Dashboard just focuses on a single, widget-based non-scrolling screen that provides statistical insight.  It doesn't allow for scrolling and you can dock / stack widgets.

Experience builder is a custom application design program.  You can link to other applications (like dashboards) or integrate things like Survey123.  You have more freedom with different website templates and can use it to create everything from galleries, hubs, and map or non-map focused applications.  You can use it to filter data and update widgets based on data selection, which is similar to dashboard, and you can connect that to Survey123, which I don't think you can do in Dashboard.

There are lots of other differences, such as being able to view attachments in an Experience.  

I use Dashboard when I just need a data snapshot, and Experience when I need to build a website / custom application that is data aware.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Kara_Shindle

Dashboard just focuses on a single, widget-based non-scrolling screen that provides statistical insight.  It doesn't allow for scrolling and you can dock / stack widgets.

Experience builder is a custom application design program.  You can link to other applications (like dashboards) or integrate things like Survey123.  You have more freedom with different website templates and can use it to create everything from galleries, hubs, and map or non-map focused applications.  You can use it to filter data and update widgets based on data selection, which is similar to dashboard, and you can connect that to Survey123, which I don't think you can do in Dashboard.

There are lots of other differences, such as being able to view attachments in an Experience.  

I use Dashboard when I just need a data snapshot, and Experience when I need to build a website / custom application that is data aware.

berniejconnors

Thanks Kara - that was the type of answer I was looking for.

Chinee
by
New Contributor II

Hi! I am new to this experience builder. I am currently trying one out right now. I would like to know what is the equivalent of the indicator element in Dashboard in the Experience Builder? What widget is that? Thanks!

studebakers_Boulder
New Contributor III

Hi Chinee! I realize this thread is a bit old but still very relevant to me and I don't believe Esri has made any upgrades on this front (plz correct me if I'm wrong!).

I've used the Text widget (connected to data) to show simple expressions like counts, essentially doing the same thing as the Indicator widget would do in Dashboards. I would love to hear what others have used as the Indicator equivalent in Experience Builder. I have found that creating a good-looking indicator widget is a bit easier in Dashboards bc it provides templates (gauge, number, etc.) whereas in Experience Builder, designing the text widget is more DIY. I did put the text/expression inside of a card so that I can have a bit of template to work with to add my own icons, etc. which helped aesthetically. I think you bring up a good point though - Experience Builder could use an out of the box Indicator widget!