Unable to Export CSV Files Using an Embedded Web AppBuilder in Experience Builder

Jump to solution
11-09-2020 03:08 PM
LARAPAdmin
New Contributor II

Hi all,

I noticed that when you embed a Web AppBuilder application in Experience Builder, you are unable to export CSV files. When I attempted to export a CSV file using the Attribute Table, Experience Builder failed to download it. The file also does not even appear in the browser's downloads folder. Is anyone else having this issue, or is this a bug?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Carlos

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LisaDong
Esri Contributor

@ChrisRoberts2 @najeebhall @ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Please see the following update:

• BUG-000149298 - Unable to export a CSV file from a web app embedded in an ArcGIS Experience Builder web experience in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1.
  • Fixed in 11.1.
  • Public Explanation:
    • For safety reasons, the embedded app in the ArcGIS Experience Builder Embed widget is constrained by the same-origin policy. For domains other than *.arcgis.com or *.esri.com, the sandbox attribute is automatically added as stated in the Embed widget documentation, https://doc.arcgis.com/en/experience-builder/configure-widgets/embed-widget.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_280578....

To download embedded content, the 'allow-downloads' property for the iframe must be supported, while the sandbox bans it. The CSV file cannot be downloaded because the domain in Portal for ArcGIS 10.9.1 is not a trusted domain. The CSV file can be downloaded if the portal has a trusted domain (for example, *.esri.com).

Note: Starting from ArcGIS Enterprise 11.1, the Embed widget has been enhanced so the embedded URLs which share the same domain as ArcGIS Enterprise the ArcGIS Experience Builder app is hosted on are allowed to export.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Carlos,

This behavior is related to recent browser updates, removing the allow-downloads flag for the sandboxed iframe:

Chrome has removed it since v83:

chrome_sandbox_download.png

FF has removed it since v82 (recently):

ff_sandbox_download.png

We are looking into it and see what we can do, especially for .arcgis domains. In the meantime, to make it work you might need to keep using the old versions of these browsers.

Thanks,

Tonghui

0 Kudos
LARAPAdmin
New Contributor II

Hi Tonghui,

Thank you so much for getting back to me and providing me an explanation. 

Hopefully, this issue gets resolved soon.

Thanks!

Carlos

LARAPAdmin
New Contributor II

Hi Tonghui,

Is this issue now resolved? I tested the export function in Experience Builder after the December updates, and it looks like I can now export CSV files from an embedded WebApp Builder.

Thanks!

Carlos

0 Kudos
LinaMelo
New Contributor

Hi Carlos,

I am new to this, I am trying to export to csv from a FeatureLayer, how did you embed the WebAppBuilder? Could it be useful for my case?

Any help works, I appreciate it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @LinaMelo -

If you need to export csv from other apps, you might need to make sure the embedded content supports it. For example, as indicated above, Web AppBuilder has many widgets that support this export function, e.g. Attribute Table.

If you want to do all that without the need for embedded content, you can utilize the Data action function provided in Experience Builder. Refer to how to utilize data in Experience Builder and it contains the information of export, data action and how to configure them.

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @LARAPAdmin,

Oops...it seems that I didn't catch your message earlier. To confirm - yes, we especially handled the situation since the 2020 Dec release.

Do note that, you can only download content if your embedded content is from secure domains (*.arcgis.com and *.esri.com). Other unsecured domains are still under similar limitations.

Best,

Tonghui

0 Kudos
LARAPAdmin
New Contributor II

Hi Tonghui,

I hope all is well. No worries, but it looks like the issue is happening again, at least with Google Chrome. Users from my Org reported that they could not export CSV files from a WebApp Builder app embedded within Experience Builder. As a temporary solution, I was planning on using the embed widget in ArcGIS Dashboard, but it looks like the issue is also happening there. However, everything works perfectly fine in Firefox, but my users prefer to use Google Chrome when accessing our web apps.

Could you please look into this and let me know if this is the same issue as before?

Thank you so much for your help!

Carlos

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Carlos,

I did a quick test in the AGOL environment (ExB v9.1) and I can export CSV from my Web AppBuilder app successfully, in both Chrome (v90.0.4430.93) and FF (v88.0) browser:

Export CSV ExB.png

Could you help provide any steps or environments to reproduce what your users are seeing? That could be helpful.

Cheers,

Tonghui

0 Kudos
LARAPAdmin
New Contributor II

Hi Tonghui - Thank you for getting back to me. Our Google Chrome version is 90.0.4430.212 and Firefox version is 78.0. We have no issues with Firefox, but we do with Google Chrome.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Carlos

0 Kudos