Renaming Widget Error: Cannot read property 'widgetType' of undefined

Jump to solution
02-15-2021 10:43 AM
DaveFullerton
Occasional Contributor III

Update:  If you read through you will find that renaming widgets was the issue.

Up to now I have been working with Dev Edition v1.1 and wanted to try migrating to v1.3. When I ran into trouble, I tried migrating to v1.2 where I did not encounter this error:

Capture.PNG

My project has 2 custom widgets that I developed, but only one of them fails. A third widget that also fails is simply a copy of the argis-map widget that I renamed and made a few changes in mapbase.tsx to disable all navigation (replacing/enhancing the functionality of the disable zoom scrolling option). All 3 custom widgets worked correctly in v1.3 when I tested them in a new ExB project. Again, I have no problems migrating to v1.2.

I also see errors in the server command window:

Capture2.PNG

Any thoughts regarding this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
DaveFullerton

Yes, the widgets are in the dist folder.  This is what it looks like if I copy and paste the URL in a new tab:

image.png

This is what it looks like when I Preview the app:

image.png

0 Kudos
AlexisCuicui
New Contributor II

Could you try to create a new experience from scratch and try to add your own widget inside ?

It may give some leads on what is failing ?

0 Kudos
DaveFullerton

Thanks, Alexis, as stated in the original post I have tried that:

All 3 custom widgets worked correctly in v1.3 when I tested them in a new ExB project.

0 Kudos
DaveFullerton

This showed up now too:

image.png

0 Kudos
DaveFullerton

The NODE_TLS_UNAUTHRIZED error may be a hint that CORS needs to be enable.  Hopefully I will hear back from IT about getting privileges set back to where there were so I can do that.  A new error has cropped up:

image.png

0 Kudos
Junshan_Liu
Occasional Contributor
The widget name is changed. Take op-whmn-search as a sample, it's called op-search in the config.json, but the widget name is changed to op-whmn-search, that's the reason why the widget can't be found.
DaveFullerton

Thank you, Junshan.  To differentiate the names between the widgets for this Experience from the ones for an Experience that followed, I renamed the widgets.  This was a long while back.  When I tested the projects in v1.1, everything worked fine.  I made changes and redeployed the Experience multiple times - but made no changes to the custom widgets.  It seems to me that the reason the widgets continued to work is that after I renamed the widgets there were functioning orphans in the client\dist\widgets directory.

So I guess the question now becomes:  "Is there a way to rename widgets and fix Experiences that reference them?"

As you say, the config.json file in server\src\public\apps\5 did not have the correct widget names.  I updated them, but it still didn't work.  I then found the config.json file in server\src\public\apps\5\resources\config and updated it.  This did the trick.

So from what I have seen so far, it seems that after renaming a widget, you should:

1. Delete the orphan in client\dist\widgets.

2. Change all references to the name of the widget in server\src\public\apps\[#]\config.json and server\src\public\apps\[#]\config.json.

0 Kudos
Junshan_Liu
Occasional Contributor

To change a widget name, you need to:

1. Stop webpack in client

2. Change the folder name

3. Change the name in manifest.json

4. Change the reference in apps/#/config.json and apps/#/resource/config.json (one config is for published version, one config is for draft version)

5. Start webpack