Integrate Node.js with Experience Builder Developer Edition

Jump to solution
10-01-2020 06:26 AM
KarenRobine1
New Contributor III

I've been thinking about getting my hands wet with Experience Builder.  Coming from WebApp Builder Developer Edition, I like how the node.js is integrated into WAB_DEV. You don't need to install each separately.  I'm also working at a Federal site, so the possibility of getting Administrative access to do anything is 'nil to none'.  So 3 questions really:

1. Is there a plan to integrate Node.js into Experience Builder?   

2. Do you need to "run as administrator" to run Node.js with Experience Builder? (hopefully not as I wont be able to do that where I work).  

3. Is the requirement to run node.js version 12.x required?  

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Karen,

Here are some comments and answers to your question. 

1. Is there a plan to integrate Node.js into Experience Builder?  As of today, we have no plans however, we are always looking at ways to improve the developer experience. 

2. Do you need to "run as administrator" to run Node.js with Experience Builder? (hopefully not as I wont be able to do that where I work).   Yes, to install node you will need to have someone with admin rights install node.js.

3. Is the requirement to run node.js version 12.x required?  Yes, the current version is 12.x.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Karen,

Here are some comments and answers to your question. 

1. Is there a plan to integrate Node.js into Experience Builder?  As of today, we have no plans however, we are always looking at ways to improve the developer experience. 

2. Do you need to "run as administrator" to run Node.js with Experience Builder? (hopefully not as I wont be able to do that where I work).   Yes, to install node you will need to have someone with admin rights install node.js.

3. Is the requirement to run node.js version 12.x required?  Yes, the current version is 12.x.

FrankieEast
New Contributor III

That may explain my issue.  I was following the how to install exp builder video and ran into issues with node modules when doing the npm ci in either client or server directory.  Following that video and pulling node got me version 14.15.0 installed.  Should I look for and go to node 12.x or is my issue perhaps unrelated.  I notice it finds python (I don't have python 2 on the machine but it checks after failing to find that and does find python 3.9) then it fails a python command for bad syntax.  Not sure how to proceed...

0 Kudos
KarenRobine1
New Contributor III

I believe WAB-Dev runs off a much older version of Node.JS.  But the Node.js is baked into Wab-Dev. So I'm assuming no problem running Experience Builder Developer edition and Wab-Dev simultaneously on a machine isn't a problem?

0 Kudos
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Yes, they both can run simultaneously as they are on different ports.

Cheers,

David

0 Kudos