How to create a dynamic URL for a button?

Jump to solution
06-01-2020 06:58 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello all,

I'm trying to create a url for a button comprised of a static portion and a dynamic portion and a dynamic portion (specifically the global ID of the selected feature).  I am trying to launch a Survey123 survey in edit mode.  I would think that is done in an Expression.  Is there documentation on the syntax for an Expression?  Haven't see it in the documentation yet.  

Thanks,

Jim

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jim,

Currently, the expression only supports string binding and simple calculations (e.g., addition, subtraction). 

Thanks,

David 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
megan_r
Esri Contributor

Hello Jim,

Can you explain in a little more detail what you mean by launching a survey in edit mode? Are you looking for users to submit a survey/change existing survey answers, or do you actually want them to be able to edit the survey itself (like changing the questions/possible responses, etc)?

The documentation below maybe useful in generating a URL that passes the globalID of a selected feature to Survey123: Integrate with other apps—Survey123 for ArcGIS | Documentation 

Best,

Megan

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Megan,

Sorry for the delay in response.  I had to give up on the initiative.  I was looking to see if I could build a workflow using multiple pages within the app.  My workflow currently exists in 3 Survey123 apps.  The first app has add new and update requirements for a survey.  Without getting into too much of the process, I was looking to split out the portion of the survey which required updating so it could be simplified for use in Survey123 webapp.  They I could pass the Object ID to open it.  It seems like creating and expression would be the way to dynamically create the URL behind the button.  From David's response below, that is not yet possible.  Thanks though.

-Jim

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jim, 

I am doing the same thing, however I was able to achieve this through a hyperlink in the text widget. Unfortunate that we can't do it through buttons or embedded content yet, but the hyperlink will work in the mean time. 

I will note that I'm having difficulty creating hyperlinks since Experience Builder was updated yesterday, but hopefully that will get fixed...otherwise the hyperlink option also won't work haha. But it worked a few days ago before the update!

DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jim,

Currently, the expression only supports string binding and simple calculations (e.g., addition, subtraction). 

Thanks,

David 

0 Kudos
Lou_Moo
New Contributor

Are there any plans to include this ability in future updates?

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

This function should have been supported since the expression builder was released - see how to achieve it in the screenshot provided in https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-experience-builder-questions/experience-builder-building-expres.... Or are you talking about a different case?

Use double quotation with the string and a "+" key to connect whichever attributes you want to form your dynamic URLs in the Expression Builder.

0 Kudos