First impressions

08-14-2019 11:10 AM
DanielStoelb
Occasional Contributor III

I've tested out the builder thus far using the online template of map viewer. Here's some of the issues and comments that I have thus far from my experience using the experience builder (pun intended):

• What didn't work:
    • I updated the logo, but yet it does not fully display and at times does not display at all
    • Colors modified using the interface do not display appropriately when the user adjusts the browser window - shows default colors when that is done (and same case for any images that are updated)
    • There is not a way to see all the widgets to include without adjusting the view scale of the browser window - ie I don't see a scroll bar to see the rest of the widgets that are available
    • Adjusting the selection trigger for the list does not update - ie I updated it to zoom to the location, but it still only highlights it
  • Opportunities for enhancement:
    • There should be the ability for a list to automatically filter similar to the operations dashboard
    • It is not clear how to update an image on a list or a subordinate window - possibly allow the user to double-click that to figure out the elements on that page? Maybe I'm missing an input or user guide on this?
    • Clicking on an item in the outline section should highlight that in the main view
    • Can the icon for the list use the layer icon from the service?

I will say so far that it is nice to be able to switch between 2d and 3d and I'm curious to see how this is implemented to match the other tools available with web appbuilder. The concern I have there is that this might clog up the options a bit when trying to select the appropriate action or widget you want.

Also, is this going to usurp the operations dashboard solution?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Daniel,

Please see my responses below:

• What didn't work:
    • I updated the logo, but yet it does not fully display and at times does not display at all. What time of image did you use? Did you modify the height and width? Can you send a screenshot of the image of it not displaying and the settings for the image under content? 
    • Colors modified using the interface do not display appropriately when the user adjusts the browser window - shows default colors when that is done (and same case for any images that are updated) Did you modify and change the color on all three screen sizes? In this template, you would need to for those changes to come across because each screen size has its own settings.  
    • There is not a way to see all the widgets to include without adjusting the view scale of the browser window - ie I don't see a scroll bar to see the rest of the widgets that are available. You're correct, we have this logged as an issue and will be fixing it.
    • Adjusting the selection trigger for the list does not update - ie I updated it to zoom to the location, but it still only highlights it. Correct, this is a bug, it is not zooming to the location, but panning. 
    • There should be the ability for a list to automatically filter similar to the operations dashboard. We are currently working on the filtering for the list widget. 
    • It is not clear how to update an image on a list or a subordinate window - possibly allow the user to double-click that to figure out the elements on that page? Maybe I'm missing an input or user guide on this? If you select the image in the list widget then on the right-hand side the panel will display as long as it isn't collapsed.   We are working on improving the subordinate window. Images in the list widget or either dynamic or static, if it is static, it is the same image for the entire list.  Another option is you can click the list widget in the outline and select the image widget as well. If it isn't simple and direct, we need to simplify it. 
    • Clicking on an item in the outline section should highlight that in the main view. Can you record this behavior please as I am not able to reproduce this? If you're in live view, it will not highlight the widget.  
    • Can the icon for the list use the layer icon from the service? Not currently, basically you would like to display the symbology for that feature. This is something we will need to look into. 

Operations Dashboard and Experience Builder are two separate products. You can use both of these products to create a unique experience. Check out this example https://experience.arcgis.com/stemapp/7fe0885bb4e04dc68aa23159f191cb7c

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

David 

DanielStoelb
Occasional Contributor III
    • I updated the logo, but yet it does not fully display and at times does not display at all. What time of image did you use? Did you modify the height and width? Can you send a screenshot of the image of it not displaying and the settings for the image under content? 
      • Image type is png, did modify the height and width - 55px x 55px and set to auto
      • Builder view:
      • Live view: 
      • Preview view:
    • Colors modified using the interface do not display appropriately when the user adjusts the browser window - shows default colors when that is done (and same case for any images that are updated) Did you modify and change the color on all three screen sizes? In this template, you would need to for those changes to come across because each screen size has its own settings. 
      • I did not change all three screen sizes. Is there a way to have one change propagate to all sizes? 
    • It is not clear how to update an image on a list or a subordinate window - possibly allow the user to double-click that to figure out the elements on that page? Maybe I'm missing an input or user guide on this? If you select the image in the list widget then on the right-hand side the panel will display as long as it isn't collapsed.   We are working on improving the subordinate window. Images in the list widget or either dynamic or static, if it is static, it is the same image for the entire list.  Another option is you can click the list widget in the outline and select the image widget as well. If it isn't simple and direct, we need to simplify it. 
      • Looks like selecting it now highlights it in the main view and vice versa.
    • Clicking on an item in the outline section should highlight that in the main view. Can you record this behavior please as I am not able to reproduce this? If you're in live view, it will not highlight the widget.  
      • Looks like selecting it now highlights it in the main view and vice versa.
0 Kudos
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Daniel,

Based on the preview it looks like there are some alignment issues. On the right of the fixed panel it looks like there is a gray scrolling bar, is that scrollable? Can you share the URL with me by sharing it with everyone? That URL would be something like https://experience.arcgis.com/stemapp/7fe0885bb4e04dc68aa23159f191cb7c.

In regards to allowing the change for all screen sizes, this is something we are currently reviewing regarding having messaging notifications, etc. 

0 Kudos
LeonAus
New Contributor III

With respect to making a dashboard in experience builder, your example above doesn't have a map. Are you able to make a dashboard with a map with one of the templates?

0 Kudos