Feature Info and Table both default to first item selected - How to turn this off

12-07-2020 07:06 AM
LJuliusson
New Contributor III

I've added a table (beta) and feature info widget and set their content to a point layer displayed in a map widget. The first record in the point layer table is always selected (and thus highlighted) by default when I run my Experience. Is there a way to turn this off? The first record is of no initial interest to the user, and I don't want its selection drawing unnecessary attention.

5 Replies
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello, by default, the Feature Info widget queries and returns the first record in the layer.  Could you use the List widget as a replacement? Or perhaps use the filter widget to allow your users to filter the map and table based on the information they are looking for?

Thanks,

David

DavidMurray_ODWC
New Contributor III

I am using a List widget and Feature Info widget that are looking at Point features in a Map widget.  Whenever I run my Experience, the first item in the List widget is always selected.  Is there any way to Turn This Off?

I actually have 3 Views, each with 1 List widget.  All three have highlighted their first item by default.  This is unhelpful in relation to the whole user interface that is the Experience.  See Image:

First Item of visible List widget is Center Point; Two other List widgets' First Items also highlighted by default.First Item of visible List widget is Center Point; Two other List widgets' First Items also highlighted by default.

0 Kudos
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David,

This is how the Feature info works. It queries the first record and highlights it on the map. Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off the selection. What additional information are you showing in the Feature info? 

Cheers,

David

0 Kudos
DavidMurray_ODWC
New Contributor III

I was using the List Widget as a way for the User to select an item ~whose information is then displayed in detail by the Feature Info Widget ~and then zoom the map to the selected List item.  

When the Experience starts up with the first List item selected, the zoom doesn't happen (the map stays at the default full extent (which is nice)).  The User needs to unselect the first list item, then re-select it [or any other item] to then zoom to that item.

I now understand that the Feature Info widget automatically selects the first item of its source dataset. 

Why is the first item of the List Widget selected?  Is it b/c both widgets use the same data source: if the source data is selected, it'll be selected in the List Widget as well?  I specifically did not set up a trigger-action between the Feature Info widget's 'change-selection' and List widget.

Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

Well, this thread certainly help explain things.  I was having the exact same problem, and it was interfering with selections in my table and map (the map was jittery, flashing between multiple selections from multiple sources).  I rather wish I had the ability to just make the Feature Info a reactive source - so that someone could select an asset in a table or on the map and it would show the feature info and attachments since the order of my assets is not of importance.  A list wouldn't really help with my issue, so I'm going to try the filter widget and see if that helps.

0 Kudos