Block "widget"

09-10-2020 02:36 AM
AnnaHradecká
New Contributor III

I have problem with configure layout of my experience builder app because of blocks. I can't find out what these blocks are and how it works. 

Sometimes, when I insert a widget to layout, new block is created like parent widget for the new one. But I don't understand, when it happens and when not. For example if I have section widget and i want to insert a list to one view and a feature info to second, I make also blocks.

But if I start with Map view template, There is also section with list and feature info, but without blocks!

I tried it with a row widget same as it here, but it didn't help.

So, what is problem with blocks? Sometimes (not everytime) blocks have empty style properties, so I can't set their size by percent, stretch or auto. I can change size manually but after it my content doesn't change size automatically by different display rosolution.

For exaple I want to have fixed panel section widget (with 100 % height) with 2 views in it, in first view I want to have list (100 % height of section). How i can do it with blocks or how can I delete blocks or how can I set height to automatically created blocks? 

3 Replies
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anna,

Blocks only show up in scrolling page types and are automatically added when you add a widget. They can be 100% width, but not 100% height ( only px or auto) since the page is scrolling. Any widget inside the block can absorb the full height of the block. Do you need a scrolling page type or do you need fullscreen? You can accomplish 100% height with a fullscreen layout.

Cheers,
David

AnnaHradecká
New Contributor III

Hi David, 

Thanks for answer. In this situation it helps me so much. I have made my app probably like scrolling page, now I try it with fullscreen and it works. Can I ask you, is it possible to change page option from scrolling to fullscreen or it is necessery to create new one?

And one more question about blocks...  If I understand it correctly there will be any blocks created in fullscreen pages. But what about scrolling? In example I have written above blocks were created, but If I added only list widget without section, Any blocks would show up. 

Is information about blocks somewhere in docs? I couldn't find it, but I would have been useful for me and maybe for more people. 

0 Kudos
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anna,

That sounds great you got your app working in the layout you need. In regards to your question, regarding changing from fullscreen to scrolling or vice-versa, currently, you cannot since fullscreen is a fixed layout and scrolling is a flow layout. You could copy and paste widgets between the two layouts. Below is a link to information about the blocks under the scrolling page template section. Add and manage pages—ArcGIS Experience Builder | Documentation.  In a fullscreen app, a block will not show up and you cannot add it. In a scrolling page, a block will show up once you add any widget or insert a block using the tool. The scrolling page layout is organized into blocks (think of them like rows) so it allows that linear scrolling page design to be created. 

Cheers,

David