Add Web Map to Experience Builder with some layers toggled on/off by default

Jump to solution
06-17-2021 04:56 AM
Labels (1)
TomLT_
by
New Contributor II

I am using Experience Builder (on ArcGIS Enterprise) to bring together contextual information (formerly in PowerPoint format) with web mapping, which I intend to display side-by-side. The goal is to enable users to interact with the data behind the slideshow, as opposed to just a static image.

I have a single Web Map that contains all relevant feature layers for the project. For each of the themes being discussed, I need to display a different combination of layers (some toggled on, others off) that contributes to the given narrative, which must load by default. However, there does not appear to be this capability in Experience Builder’s Map Widget. Moreover, it is not feasible to split the Web Map into multiple Web Maps for each theme, as there would be an enormous number of maps required.

I would massively appreciate if someone could suggest how I might overcome or workaround this issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomLT_
by
New Contributor II

My partial resolution was to create a 'Presentation' from my Web Map. The Presentation App enables new slideshow views of the map to be created by toggling on and off layers. I then embedded this presentation into the Embed Widget in Experience Builder (including the slide parameter), as below.

<domain>/arcgis/apps/presentation/index.html?webmap=<id_goes_here>&slide=1 

BUT, I have encountered a further issue. The Presentation App does not enable me to reorder layers for different views. This is problematic because the drawing order for one view, won't necessarily work for the other view i.e. features hidden behind other features. There doesn't appear to be a solution / workaround for this.

Any ideas?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kara_Shindle
Occasional Contributor III

What features do you need to accomplish your project in Experience Builder?  I only ask because this sounds like something that a classic StoryMap format might be able to do easier then Exp Builder.

0 Kudos
TomLT_
by
New Contributor II

Hi Kara. Thanks for your comment. I attempted the StoryMap route, but the restrictive templates are not suitable for the requirements of my app and actually creates further problems. The ideal solution would have the flexibility of ExB, but the functionality of StoryMaps...

0 Kudos
SandraHayden
New Contributor III

I could also use this capability. Could ESRI enhance the layer widget to enable/disable layers for the Experience Builder app?

TomLT_
by
New Contributor II

My partial resolution was to create a 'Presentation' from my Web Map. The Presentation App enables new slideshow views of the map to be created by toggling on and off layers. I then embedded this presentation into the Embed Widget in Experience Builder (including the slide parameter), as below.

<domain>/arcgis/apps/presentation/index.html?webmap=<id_goes_here>&slide=1 

BUT, I have encountered a further issue. The Presentation App does not enable me to reorder layers for different views. This is problematic because the drawing order for one view, won't necessarily work for the other view i.e. features hidden behind other features. There doesn't appear to be a solution / workaround for this.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

In the latest AGOL February release, the Map Layers widget has supported a new feature - "Customize layers":

TonghuiMing_0-1678069165536.png

Note that there would be some limitations for multi-connection or raster layers, but I hope it will cover your cases.

0 Kudos