Using Filter widget for Category List Drop Down selection

06-14-2022 10:06 AM
CESPEDESLUISITD
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am having an issue with filtering using drop down lists in builder.

I have a dashboard, but unfortunately uses heatmap layer that it cannot be filtered due to a bug in ESRI's software. https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDEzOTUyMA==

So I am trying a different approach using the experience builder.

I am using the Filter widget to create drop downs as Dashboard provides. When using a layer to filter the map and other widgets, the filter tool only provides me with the action/ability to zoom and pan. I dont see the ability to filter other items such as bar charts. 

The zoom in does not work all the time when I select different battalion zones. I added a second filter below it and it configured it to change based on the previous selection. It doesnt work. The selection of a station never changes based on the battalion selection.

If anyone can provide me an example or link to a configuration page where the correct method is used, please do so. I have searched on the documentation and cant find anything. 

Thanks everyone.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@CESPEDESLUISITD Could you provide more details, the app, and some screenshots for the question that you have? I am confused about the following description -

"The zoom in does not work all the time when I select different battalion zones. I added a second filter below it and it configured it to change based on the previous selection. It doesnt work. The selection of a station never changes based on the battalion selection."

Is this referring to the Filter widget function, its message actions (e.g. zoom or pan), or the Chart widget (i.e. the bar chart mentioned)?

0 Kudos
CESPEDESLUISITD
New Contributor III

Thanks for looking into this.

When working with Dashboards, there is the ability to add additional filters on the same panel. Each additional filter or selection is narrowed down based on the previous selection.

In my case, I have Fire Battalions. Each Battalion has about 6 stations. When no Battalion is selected, the dropdown on the Station selection lists 78 stations. When I select 1 Battalion,  the Station selection changes to only those station that belong to that battalion. This does not appear to be in Experience Builder.

The Zoom-In function was something you configured in Dashboards when there was a change on the selection of layer, you had the option to zoom, pan. I dont see that option for changes on the Experience Builder.

Thanks again Tonghui

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

You can configure filters based on previous values like this:

TonghuiMing_0-1659059993975.png

The filter widget's message action (Data filtering changes) was specifically designed to achieve the zoom/pan-to workflow for the Filter widget, and there are more actions for other widgets:

TonghuiMing_1-1659060093496.png

Related version info -

The first is the function included in the first version of the Filter widget (v1.0), and the second has been added since v1.6 (AGOL 9.3, 2021 Oct). If you are using other environments or versions, refer to the following URL for version info:

https://developers.arcgis.com/experience-builder/guide/release-versions/ 

Hope the doc helps guide you through it, and let us know if you have other questions.

0 Kudos