Publishing Custom Widget in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
01-31-2024 02:51 AM
Labels (1)
DimitriosIliadis
Emerging Contributor

Hello,

I am developing different custom widgets using the experience builder developer edition. Everything runs fine locally, so I wanted to publish these custom widgets and add them in my experience builder app that I've created on ArcGIS online. Can anyone let me know how to do that. I found a guide that only works with ArcGIS Enterprise but I have to use ArcGIS online as I don't have access to third party servers. 

Cheers,

Dimitris

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Online does not support adding custom widgets. You will need to construct your application using Developer Edition and publish the final product to a web server to get the functionality of a custom widget.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

ArcGIS Online does not support adding custom widgets. You will need to construct your application using Developer Edition and publish the final product to a web server to get the functionality of a custom widget.

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos
DimitriosIliadis
Emerging Contributor

Thank you for your response!

I guess I'll have to run ArcGIS Enterprise on my server (which I will have to buy) to publish the widgets?

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

You shouldn't need to buy Enterprise just to get access to custom widgets. Developer Edition can be configured to work with ArcGIS Online. Then you can deploy your final project to an internal server if your project shouldn't be accessible on the public internet. If it can be on the internet, there are many cheaper hosting options than an Enterprise subscription. If there are other users in your organization that need access to your custom widgets, consider setting them up with Developer Edition. 

GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
DimitriosIliadis
Emerging Contributor

Our intention was to create a experience builder app (that would include custom widgets) that would be published on ArcGIS Online (thus by-passing buying access to web servers). This app would then be accessible by third party users. These user's would be provided with ESRI accounts, so that we can allow access only to them and not just anyone. From your very helpful responses, I understand that buying access to servers from a cloud provider is a necessity. After we have access to servers, we can host the experience builder app there (according to the link you shared). If you don't see any problems with what I explained, I will go ahead and accept you first response/ close this thread.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JeffreyThompson2
MVP Regular Contributor

Your overall workflow should look like this:

1. Create your application in Developer Edition.
  2. Publish to a third-party web server.
  3. Give your users accounts under your ArcGIS Online.
  4. Use the sharing settings in ArcGIS Online to restrict access to your data to the appropriate accounts.
GIS Developer
City of Arlington, Texas
0 Kudos