Map pop-ups run off the edge of the map; Feature Info widget isn't a suitable alternative

Jump to solution
12-09-2021 01:44 PM
Labels (1)
AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

I have an ongoing issue with pop-ups running off the edge of maps when the map is embedded in a website . In this particular case, it is a web map (Classic) embedded in an Experience Builder scrolling page. When you click on some locations, the pop-up is cut off by the edge of the map. Here is a screen shot (the data is not approved for public consumption, so I had to black it out).

Screenshot of pop-up running off the edge of an embedded map.Screenshot of pop-up running off the edge of an embedded map.

As an alternative, I tried to turn off pop-ups in Experience Builder and use the Feature Info widget instead. To get the Feature Info widget to filter, you have to enable the Selection tool in the map. That's not a problem per se, but there is no way to automatically activate that tool. The user has to know to click on the select tool first to activate it. Further, when you make a selection (even with the point selection tool), you don't get one location. You get the location you clicked, plus everything within an unspecified buffer. So, it's really not a good alternative to the in-map pop-up.

I've had this same problem when embedding web maps and web maps inside Civics Plus web pages and found no solution. I could potentially convert this particular project to Experience Builder Developer Edition and try to tinker with the source code, but I have to believe that I'm not the first person to experience this issue!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmyRoust

After speaking to tech support, I've learned that this is a known bug. There isn't a great workaround, but I found that by changing from a pop-up with a list of fields (which creates a table) to a custom pop-up with just text, the issue is much less pronounced. I'm not 100% sure that it's fixed, but testing yesterday yielded good results. I just ended up doing something like this in the custom config:

Field One: {field1}

Field Two: {field2}

Field Three: {field3}

The downside is that fields with long names tend to wrap onto another line and the value gets a bit lost in the visual field, but it's better than cutting off half of the pop-up! 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AmyRoust

After speaking to tech support, I've learned that this is a known bug. There isn't a great workaround, but I found that by changing from a pop-up with a list of fields (which creates a table) to a custom pop-up with just text, the issue is much less pronounced. I'm not 100% sure that it's fixed, but testing yesterday yielded good results. I just ended up doing something like this in the custom config:

Field One: {field1}

Field Two: {field2}

Field Three: {field3}

The downside is that fields with long names tend to wrap onto another line and the value gets a bit lost in the visual field, but it's better than cutting off half of the pop-up! 

0 Kudos