Image widget: tablet and mobile "fill" settings only top-align, not center

Jump to solution
07-05-2022 03:51 PM
MackenzieCope
New Contributor III

Hello! 

I am building an app using experience builder and have come across an issue only in tablet and mobile screen sizes. I have an image widget that populates with the attachments from my map data. The image size is fixed, so I have the "fill" setting on so the attached images fill the space. On desktop, the images vertically align center, which is what I want. For whatever reason, on tablet- and mobile-size screens, the images are top-aligned in the image widget. I can't find a vertical alignment setting for the image, only a horizontal alignment setting for the whole widget, not the image that populates it. 

Current image widget settings: 

MackenzieCope_0-1657061031744.pngMackenzieCope_1-1657061051264.png

Desktop vs Tablet image output: 

MackenzieCope_2-1657061118168.png   MackenzieCope_3-1657061166357.png

Has anyone else run into this and have ideas? I really don't want to go through all my data attachments and have to resize them manually. I would just like the "fill" setting to fill the widget but align center. Thanks!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@MackenzieCope There has been a known limitation for the image 'fill' behavior on iOS/macOS devices (mostly Safari) for a while, due to the browser's rendering mechanism limit, and unfortunately we have no good ways to solve it at this time. On Android tablets, they look as expected, such as with a Galaxy. 

Based on your description, it looks like the same issue. If not, could you provide the mode/version information of your devices?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

The iOS limit of "Fill" has been resolved with the latest AGOL October release, so cases with iPhone or iPad should work fine now. Let me know if you encounter any other issues. Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

@MackenzieCope There has been a known limitation for the image 'fill' behavior on iOS/macOS devices (mostly Safari) for a while, due to the browser's rendering mechanism limit, and unfortunately we have no good ways to solve it at this time. On Android tablets, they look as expected, such as with a Galaxy. 

Based on your description, it looks like the same issue. If not, could you provide the mode/version information of your devices?

0 Kudos
JoelMcKechnie
New Contributor III

Hi @TonghuiMing, I'm coming up against this as well. Using Macbook Pro and Safari (latest OS and browser). Any ETA for a fix?

TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @JoelMcKechnie - this has been logged in our official document as a known limitation:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/experience-builder/latest/configure-widgets/image-widget.htm

Unfortunately, we do not have a planned fix unless the Safari browser changes its rendering mechanism.

JoelMcKechnie
New Contributor III

That's disappointing - I hope Apple catch this issue. Thanks for the quick response!

erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @erica_poisson - that seems to be the cause.

0 Kudos
MackenzieCope
New Contributor III

Hi @TonghuiMing,

I just went back and tested with Android devices and the images load correctly. Looks like this is the same issue and limitation as you described. I appreciate the response, I will use the "fit" setting on tablet and mobile or find another workaround. 

Thank you!

TonghuiMing
Esri Regular Contributor

The iOS limit of "Fill" has been resolved with the latest AGOL October release, so cases with iPhone or iPad should work fine now. Let me know if you encounter any other issues. Thanks!