Select to view content in your preferred language

Editing many-to-many relationship classes in a web application

01-16-2023 04:44 AM
SydorukMariya
New Contributor II

Hi, I have a polygon layer of rooms (offices) in a building and a stand-alone table of employees that work in that building. In ArcGIS Pro, I've created a many-to-many relationship class and made relations between employees and rooms indicating who has keys to which rooms.

I've successfully published the map as a Web Layer and the relations seem to work properly in a Web Map (I can view them in a pop-up etc.). 

Now I'd like to be able to edit these relations online as well, i. e. to create new relation between an employee from the table and a room polygon (e.g. when someone receives a new key to a room) or to remove already existing relations (e.g. when an employee quits their job or moves to a different office).

Ideally, I'd like this to be done through an application built in Experience Builder (or Web AppBuilder), but it doesn't seem like either Edit or Table widget has this functionality.

Is there any way to do this kind of changes in a many-to-many relationship class online? Any custom widget or other workaround to it? 

5 Replies
dns
by
New Contributor III

Would love to hear from Esri on how you can managed related records in ArcGIS Online. Is there a widget that allows this in Experience? Does this require custom written JS?

0 Kudos
MagalyClément-Zaber
Occasional Contributor

Hi, have you found a solution ? I have the same problem in WAB...

Thx

0 Kudos
dns
by
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have found a good solution for my needs.

I recommend working in Experience Builder. Use an Edit widget connected to a web map designed for editing. Your feature service should have relationships defined between the layers and tables in the service using a unique ID. I'm assuming you know how to set that up. You can then use Form settings in the web map to set up an editing form for that layer that suits your needs, including. Forms can have sections to edit related records for that layer. However you configure the Form in the web map will be reflected in the Edit widget in experience builder.

My example: I have cemetery lots (layer A) and a table of buried people (table B) that are connected with GUIDs, one-to-many.  An Edit widget is configured to edit layer A and it will show all related records to that specific cemetery lot and allow you to add, delete, edit people in table B that are related.

Wish you luck on your project.

MagalyClément-Zaber
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot for taking time to response. 

I'll test this solution 🙂

0 Kudos
JoaoPinheiro
New Contributor

Hi,

I have a feature service with tables related to each other. I've added the service to the map viewer, created the forms, but only one of the layers shows the related tables. In ArcGIS Pro, I can see all the relationships without a problem.

Doesn't the Map Viewer support multiple relationships between tables?

Best regards.

0 Kudos