Dynamic Map Service Widget Support?

04-21-2020 09:52 AM
JustinPence2
Occasional Contributor

Are there any plans to support Dynamic Map Services for different widgets in Experience Builder: such as the filter widget?  I currently have a dataset that is in the tens of thousands of features, and run into performance issues when trying to publish it as hosted feature service.  If not, any advice on getting better performance with a hosted feature service that has several thousand features?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DavidMartinez
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Justin,

We are planning on supporting more data source types in our next release 1.1. I am adding my colleague Tonghui Ming,‌ who knows more about the data source types for the filter widget. In regards to your question about better performance, this presentation gives some techniques on how to deal with large datasets for feature layers Best Practices for Building Web Apps that Visualize Large Datasets | conferences.

Cheers,

David 

JustinPence2
Occasional Contributor

Thank you.  Look forward to seeing next release and advances in that product.  I will review the presentation attached as well.

0 Kudos
JustinPence2
Occasional Contributor

David, I reviewed the presentation, saw an option called Dynamic Feature Tiles?  Is that a new option coming down the pike.  I guess I haven't seen an option when sharing services (typical ones I've seen are used are hosted feature service, map services, vector tiles, etc).  Is there more information on this?  Thanks

0 Kudos
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Justin,

The dynamic feature tiles are the way features are delivered from online hosted feature services to the browser.  Think of it as an optimized way of delivering data from a feature service to the client. The features in the query responses are tiled so they can be cached in the browser and in the CDN and server. The "dynamic" nature of it refers to the fact that you can 1.) dynamically interact with your features (they aren't part of an image, or some other vector tile. They are true features with all the geometries and attributes you expect from a feature service) and 2.) When you edit a feature, any tiles that feature was a part of will be discarded and a new cache created the next time a request response includes the new feature. 

In short, there's no configuration or pre-cooking involved with dynamic feature tiles. It all comes out of the box when you host feature services in ArcGIS Online.

JustinPence2
Occasional Contributor

Interesting....does the same apply to ArcGIS Enterprise?  We employ Enterprise in our organization.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

Not fully. Full support will eventually be rolled out in Enterprise. I'm not sure on those timelines.

0 Kudos
KristianEkenes
Esri Regular Contributor

When I say "full support", I mean full within the context of what makes sense for enterprise. CDN caching wouldn't apply there for example.

JustinPence2
Occasional Contributor

Thanks....checked out one of my larger datasets in ArcGIS Online and the new Webviewer.  Response was very impressive.

0 Kudos