Blank Map versus Monitor Templates Performance

Jump to solution
07-23-2021 07:28 PM
RodWoodfordOld
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Is there a rendering performance issue with the map widget when rendering the same scene map in the Blank Full Screen template and the Monitor template. We are finding the Monitor templates map widget does not render all layers (3d building, trees, etc) in a scene map completely within it extent whereas the Blank Fullscreen templates map widget extent renders all layers quickly . I have tested this with the same scene map. Can you please elaborate? See test links below

Sample Blank screen App

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/dba404cbe2954c74a430ba50a067c7ba

Sample Monitor App

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/6f721e1f606f4dd5b94e1d59dd4afeca

Any advice would be useful.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RodWoodfordOld

Hi Jonathan, Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes I removed one of the Action - Extent Changes -  Framework settings and placed it in the Action - Record Selection Changes - Framework setting and that solved the problem. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Still learning EB its a change from WAB!!

cheers

Rod

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JonathanMcDougall

@RodWoodfordOld 

I loaded up both apps at the same time, only starting to navigate one the BSA was loaded fully.

The city wide app is just that, you've got the map and book marks, no interactions with the data at at.. so it's really the basic view.

So, the Digital Twin, I realise you've used the same map, however, with the graph and bookmark widgets have you created any particular data views or sorting? Do you have any actions set? 

I think you've got actions on the map and graph (framework), and it is this that's giving the difference in what you're seeing.

0 Kudos
RodWoodfordOld

Hi Jonathan, Thanks for the prompt reply. Yes I removed one of the Action - Extent Changes -  Framework settings and placed it in the Action - Record Selection Changes - Framework setting and that solved the problem. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Still learning EB its a change from WAB!!

cheers

Rod

0 Kudos
JonathanMcDougall

@RodWoodfordOld 

You're welcome, and I'm still learning too.

I'm not a developer, just a standard "grunt", but I do like the direction ExpB is going and once you get your head 'round certain elements, I think it's a useful tool. (hence sitting here on a Saturday morning, coffee at hand, doing a bit of learning)

0 Kudos
RodWoodfordOld

Actually still getting the issue. Its seems the map widget doesn't like the Action "Query by current extent" set when linking the the chart widget This is what is causing the performance issue and missing map information. WAB doesn't have this problem.

0 Kudos
JonathanMcDougall

@RodWoodfordOld 

Clearly still here, I'll see if I can create a similar scene (if I have enough data) and scenario - will share what I see and have setup regardless of outcome.

0 Kudos
RodWoodfordOld

Thanks for this. I have left the Apps in their original state if your developers want to take a look.

0 Kudos
JonathanMcDougall

@RodWoodfordOld 

I quickly put this together, it's a snapshot of building heights in one of our rural towns.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/140e6c9c52ba41239a6a863d78b7db36/

So, I get the same as you, but what came to mind is how Scene sees the world. I think it's all to do with the Angle of Attack (let's call it that) 'cos when I viewed the area top-down, everything was fine.

If we put an imaginary polygon (the extent) on the ground, it's bounding a number of buildings. When we change the view the "distance" to that polygon will change, despite the buildings and polygon (extent) remaining roughly the same - so the map will only render in that polygon and not outwith, hence the perceived incomplete render. 

If you then move the map, and that imaginary polygon (extent), the buildings will appear.

In short, extent is taken from a top-down view, regardless of the angle of attack and will render as much as it can down a "corridor" to the extent.

Hope this makes sense?

0 Kudos
RodWoodfordOld

Yep I understand what you are saying, so why does the Sample Blank screen App display the full map extent?

0 Kudos
JonathanMcDougall

'cos it's got no Action looking to define an extent filter, it's just drawing everything it can see in the map view.

Perhaps the Devs could explain how an extent is drawn in an action, but I suppose they just had to find some params to get that extent "on the ground"

0 Kudos