Add the option in Experience Builder to easily import existing Web AppBuilder application

03-12-2024 10:04 AM
Labels (3)
AbiDhakal
Occasional Contributor III

In the very near future, Web AppBuilder is slated to be replaced by Experience Builder. To ensure a smooth transition for both clients and Esri, I believe it's imperative to include an option in Experience Builder for easily importing existing Web AppBuilder applications. This functionality would seamlessly transfer all relevant widgets and settings, significantly simplifying the migration process of Web AppBuilder items to Experience Builder.

Thank you,
Abi

7 Comments
ChrisMyers_NewQuest

HI @AbiDhakal - unfortunatly, Web App Builder and Expereince Builder are built on different versions of Java, and therefore importing Web Apps to Experience Builder will not be possible. Someone from Esri will probably comment on this, but at a high-level, thats how its been explained to me. This was confirmed at the Esri UC in San Diego last year, and I don't believe anything has changed. 

JeffPace1

Web app builder is written on the 3.x api.  Experience Builder is on the 4.x.  Not even the widgets are compatible, and everything requires a ground up rewrite.  

AbiDhakal

@ChrisMyers_NewQuest @JeffPace1 -

Is there not some workaround available? Is this a situation where it's simply not feasible, or is it something that could be achieved with significant effort?

There must be a workaround to facilitate a smooth transition from Web AppBuilder to Experience Builder. With Experience Builder, both Esri and clients like myself are grappling with the challenge of creating apps that align with their intended purpose, much like they were designed to do in Web AppBuilder. However, with just a year left before Web AppBuilder becomes obsolete, many of the widgets in Experience Builder are either unavailable or incomplete. Looking ahead, as we approach the end of Web AppBuilder's lifecycle, there's a concern about the learning curve involved in fully implementing Experience Builder in a production environment.

It just doesn't seem equitable.

If there's no option to import Web AppBuilder apps into Experience Builder and no support for Web AppBuilder post its discontinuation, will Esri establish a specialized support team to assist clients in manually migrating their Web AppBuilder apps to Experience Builder?

Thank you,
Abi

ChrisMyers_NewQuest

@AbiDhakal I agree with you, however with EXB being built on 4.x version of Java per Jeff, this will allow for many new functions that were not possible in WAB, and ultimately will be a better tool. 

I don't work for Esri, and I had the same reaction as you when I discovered this. My team is currently in the process of rebuilding all of our Web Apps in Expereince Builder by hand, because that's the only option we have. However, it is an impressive tool. I hope Esri continues to add new functionality. 

I'd reccomend reaching out to you customer service rep to share these thoughts with them.

Best of luck,

Chris

AbiDhakal

If there's no option to import Web AppBuilder apps into Experience Builder and no support for Web AppBuilder post its discontinuation, shouldn't Esri establish a specialized support team to assist clients in manually migrating their Web AppBuilder apps to Experience Builder?

Thank you,
Abi

AbiDhakal

This issue becomes even more pressing considering that Experience Builder and its widgets are not yet fully functional. Compounded with the fact that Esri will discontinue support for Web AppBuilder in less than a year, the need for an import tool becomes urgent.

johnronaldo

Great suggestion! Adding an option to import existing Web AppBuilder applications would streamline the process for users. It would enhance workflow efficiency and rebate calculator support seamless transitions between platforms. Looking forward to seeing this feature implemented.