Will standard base deployment work (ex: to Federate or Not)

04-26-2021 12:06 PM
JohnStreeb
Occasional Contributor

We're going to be setting up a new instance of ArcGIS Enterprise, but before I use the standard single machine base deployment, I want to make sure it's going to actually support the services I need. 

First and foremost, the set-up will need to support GeoData services, as we have to support GeoDatabase replication between sites with very limited bandwidth and replicating via a GeoData service is very significantly more efficient.  I thought I'd read somewhere that federated sites don't support GeoData services, but I couldn't find it anywhere in the help documentation.  So, I'm double checking if anyone knows on this one, as it would make me for sure not be able to federate (or hosting server, etc...).

Next, assuming the GeoData service isn't a deal-breaker or limit me to only one deployment option, I've got users currently mainly using ArcMap/Catalog still, but we'd like to start migrating them to Pro as some 3rd party tools become available.  So, I'm still a bit confused by the help documents as to what ArcGIS Enterprise set-ups work for which of the 2 desktop programs.  I'd ideally like to be able to publish map and/or feature services from ArcMap or ArcPro (though I can limit publishing to only from Pro if absolutely needed).  But services ideally need to be able to be consumed at least in both ArcMap or ArcPro.  And I don't anticipate any near-term need for Portal users to do any spatial analysis, upload CSVs, or publish other hosted layers, etc... Publishing of services would be done by ArcMap and/or ArcPro users only and against known and registerable data sources, so I'm not sure a hosting service is truly needed, though from what I've read you have to have a hosting server to publish services using ArcPro even if the data source is a registered source and not going to be hosted by the hosting server.  Aside from the GeoData services, the main goal would be to publish some feature services (or similar if different terminology applies to different deployment scenarios)  against existing non-static datasets that can be consumed in some OpsDashboards in Portal.

All ArcMap & ArcEnterprise is planned to be 10.8.1, and Pro being the latest available at the time.

I've tried understanding these in the ArcGIS Enterprise documentation, but either some of these details aren't there or I keep missing it... so any advice, even links to appropriate white-papers or documentation, would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ReeseFacendini
Esri Regular Contributor

Enterprise 10.8.1 will work with ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, etc) and ArcGIS Pro at the same time without issue, and is very much supported at those versions.  In terms of the hosting server, and ArcGIS DataStore, they are both required to have a functioning ArcGIS Enterprise.  You can choose to not publish hosted (within the Enterprise) content, but the pieces must be there and you will have to federate a GIS Server with Registered ArcGIS DataStore to Portal for ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
JohnStreeb
Occasional Contributor

@ReeseFacendini So just clarifying, GeoData services for use in replication can still be published to a federated hosting server without issues?

0 Kudos
davehorsey1
Occasional Contributor

Hi @JohnStreeb - I've just published a GeoData service to a federated hosting server without issue (10.8.1 single machine deployment)

Screenshot 2021-04-27 203555.png

0 Kudos
JohnStreeb
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the confirmation!

0 Kudos
Scott_Tansley
MVP Regular Contributor

Just a gentle head up on publishing from ArcMap.  If you're building a new Enterprise, don't use ArcMap!  

The last version of ArcMap is 10.8.1.  10.9 and 10.9.1 will be the last to support publishing from ArcMap.  Once we're beyond 10.9.1, ArcMap based services WILL NOT work.  At this late stage in the ArcMap game, I wouldn't use anything except Pro for creating services.  Otherwise you're just potentially making a headache for yourself in the very near future.

Also, I advise my clients to use a base deployment 'ArcGIS Server' only as a hosting server.  It is possible to put general purpose services on it, like GeoData, but generally its better to separate the workload functions.  Have a little read of this:  https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/get-started/latest/windows/additional-server-deployment.htm#ESRI_SE...

If you're not using Hosting Services (and you're never likely) to use Hosting Services then you don't need the second machine.

Hope this helps.Scott

Scott Tansley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/scotttansley/
0 Kudos