why is argis for server manager login slow

03-22-2017 07:31 AM
TimothyNorris
New Contributor

I have arcgis for server 10.4.1 installed on a fedora based server with an instance of portal installed on a separate fedora based server. The portal instance points to the server instance.

When I login to the server manager with my portal credential it can take up to 5 minutes to get pas the "Please wait..." screen. Why does this happen?

Some more details:

- both machines reside "in the cloud" on OpenStack

- when I first installed it seemed much faster, but as time passes it seems to get slower and slower

- the internet connection both in my ofice and to the machines is fast

- I am also having a problem with sharing "services" through ArcGIS for server

0 Kudos
7 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I would take a look at the http requests when logging in.  Spin up Fiddler or use the Dev Tools to see which requests take the longest, then you can work from there to determine why they take so long.

NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Same problem for me on an OpenStack host.

It takes about 20 to 30 sec to login on REST API or Manager.

Setting manager to verbose showed me that it was the time to search roles !

Time to search roles for user 'XXX' (non-nested) using '{filter = 'null', max count = -1}' is 21233 millis. Result count: 90.

If configured with web tiers authentification, it is much faster as I believe this job is done by IIS but the problem is that I need token authentification for Collector for ArcGIS...

What can be done ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Venkata_RaoTammineni
Occasional Contributor

See if you can recycle the AppPool in web server (IIS) and restart Apppool once.

Thanks,

Venkat

0 Kudos
NicolasGIS

Hi Venkat,

Thanks but it did not change anything. 

Don't know whether it is a connectivity issue or more something related to the AD size maybe ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

This has nothing to do with IIS.

This could be related to this issue:

[#BUG-000102793 Large Active Directory group structures cause latency issues with Portal for ArcGIS.]

This was addressed in 10.5.1. 
NicolasGIS

Hi Randall,

Thanks for the reply.

Interesting though ... I was thinking the mechanisms were different with a web tiers authentification (not token), because on similar VM, parsing the same AD is much faster with a web tiers.

Also, my issue is related to an ArcGIS for Server 10.4.1 and the bug you are mentioning is concerning Portal for ArcGIS. Do you think it could be same bug ? Should we give a try with 10.5.1 ?

Thanks,

Nicolas

0 Kudos
RandallWilliams
Esri Regular Contributor

Apologies - no. My response was specifically in regard to ArcGIS Enterprise with a GIS Server federated with Portal. I don't think that these are the same issues.

0 Kudos