Why do ESRI Basemaps show pixelated tiles at LODs 20-23 but my services don't

Jump to solution
02-26-2016 12:49 PM
AndrewNiederhauser1
New Contributor III

I have created the same LODs for my basemap that ESRI Imagery uses. While both the ESRI Imagery basemap and my basemap have LODs for 1:70.53 scale, there are no tiles that have been created for those scales in either service. The ESRI Imagery service shows pixelated tiles from previous, smaller scales but my basemap just shows a grey background. Is there a reason that the ESRI basemaps show pixelated tiles further zoomed in while my basemaps are simply grey? For example, my basemap has LODs for 1:70 and 1:140 but the largest scale tiles were created for was at 1:1128. When I zoom in to 1:70 in ArcGIS Online or WAB DE the background is grey. Even though the ESRI Imagery hasn't been tiled at 1:70, the tiles from the 1:1128 LOD show up, albeit pixelated.

I did notice that when printing at a scale larger scale via ArcGIS Online or WAB DE my basemaps do show pixelated tiles from  the smaller scales when in the actual app the background is grey.

Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks,

Andrew

14 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

There has been no work done to resample tiles, as far as I know. But that's not to say there hasn't been work done on improving tile layers in ArcGIS Online. Some new features will be delivered in the upcoming release of ArcGIS Online currently scheduled for release just before the User's Conference 2017.

RyanKelso
Occasional Contributor III

Andrew NiederhauserAndrew Francis

When I first started setting up my cached map services, I tried to figure out this tile resampling issue.  I eventually ran into this thread, figured it's a dead end.  I recently came across another resource that indicated map service resampling had been implemented already.  Sure enough, I fiddled around with it and it does work.

To get tile resampling to work:

1) I'm running ArcGIS Server 10.3 (don't know if it works with previous versions)

2) Edit the cached map service in the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory, then add "resampling": "true" to the service properties

3) Change the max scale to include the scales I want to have resampled

That's pretty much it.  The tile resampling works in the ArcGIS Online map viewer, including my Web AppBuilder app.  Doing a quick test, it did not work in a simple JavaScript API map viewer, so I don't know if that's possible or what it would take to get it working.

These links helped me get it working:

ArcGIS REST API (See:  New at 10.3)

ENH-000096542: Users cannot zoom beyond their highest resolution ti.. 

Tiled image in ArcGIS Online does not let me zoom in far 

Jack_Zhang
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ryan the "resamping":"true" worked on our 10.5 ArcGIS Server, however I got a lot 404 errors caused by blankTile=false in the requests, and seems i'm not alone (see this post https://community.esri.com/thread/191959-arcgis-server-allowing-tile-resampling ) I'm wondering if you and others here if you got the same error and whether there's a way to fix it. thanks.

RyanKelso
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Jack.  I do get the same thing... an ugly developer console full of 404s for every resampled tile.  I don't like it.  I try not to look.  Since the feature technically works fine despite the errors, I haven't dedicated any resources to finding a fix... if one even exists.  If you find anything, please let us know!

Jack_Zhang
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ryan,  thanks for update, I'm with you (try not to look the console....), not sure whether it's the version of ArcGIS Server or different behaviors on AGO vs ArcGIS Server, as the World Topo Map, Street Map etc. from ESRI allows resample to 1:71 without using the keyword of "Resampling" and there's no 404 error....

0 Kudos