When REST Services Directory is Disabled can an external user still use a rest endpoint

Jump to solution
05-07-2021 06:05 AM
CynthiaMatney1
New Contributor II

Hello.  Our REST Service directory is disabled - if I give someone our URL Endpoint for a particular service - does that mean they still access that service through a program and can still use it - however, they just cannot browse the service directory?

Thank you.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For the record, and end user can still browse and view all your public service if they know what they're doing. It's just that the typical user won't bother going to all that trouble.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

NathanEnge
Esri Contributor
Yes. It’s just not browser readable , it is however accessible if, for example, added to a web map. It just hides the visibility of the rest API endpoint and it’s available actions to a human.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

@CynthiaMatney1, yes that is correct.

CynthiaMatney1
New Contributor II

Thank you.  I just wanted to confirm what I thought was true before replying to a 3rd party and saying that. 🙂

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

For the record, and end user can still browse and view all your public service if they know what they're doing. It's just that the typical user won't bother going to all that trouble.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
NathanEnge
Esri Contributor
Yes. It’s just not browser readable , it is however accessible if, for example, added to a web map. It just hides the visibility of the rest API endpoint and it’s available actions to a human.